Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with exhaust(cats, cutouts, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust(cats, cutouts, etc.)

My first major type of mod will be headers and exhaust with cutouts.

I want long tube headers, 3" exhaust with with electric cutouts. I've looked at pictures of the dynatech header/cat system that jeg's sells. First off....is this a good setup? Then, where would I put the cutouts? Looks like they would have to go behind the cats.....so, I'm guessing the a section of Y pipe would have to be cut out behind each cat and the cutout welded in??? Thinking of putting a magnaflow catback system behind it....good/bad???

Where can I find electric cutouts? Are they shaped like a Y with a butterfly?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast
My first major type of mod will be headers and exhaust with cutouts.

I want long tube headers, 3" exhaust with with electric cutouts. I've looked at pictures of the dynatech header/cat system that jeg's sells. First off....is this a good setup? Then, where would I put the cutouts? Looks like they would have to go behind the cats.....so, I'm guessing the a section of Y pipe would have to be cut out behind each cat and the cutout welded in??? Thinking of putting a magnaflow catback system behind it....good/bad???

Where can I find electric cutouts? Are they shaped like a Y with a butterfly?

Thanks for any help
If your willing to put out the money for the Dynatech setup, I'd go for some Kooks or QTP LT headers. IMO...Dynatech, FLP and SLP makes some over-priced headers...Kooks and QTP are at the top of the line. They can be had for $750-$850. Dynatech, FLP and SLP are like 1 grand + for headers.

An ideal setup would be Pacesetter, Jet-Hot or Hooker headers, catted Y-pipe in your case and a Magnaflow cat-back is a nice choice. I am not sure about where to put the electric cut-out. It would go after the cats, but I have no idea where on the Y-pipe.

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD GO WITH:

Pacesetter: $375
TSP catted Y: $325
Electric cut-out: $150
Magnaflow: $375
Total: $1225 + labor

If you went with the Dynatech headers, you would be paying that amount ($1,200) for just those headers.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the Dyna's seemed a bit steep.....$1300 for headers, cats and Y. They had a pic of it all assembled in the Jeg's catalog. I have not priced the Kooks....I assumed they would be $$$$

Could someone attach a link to some electric cutouts?

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-07-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Check out www.quicktimeperformance.com for everything you are asking for. They make the most powerful headers for our cars. They make a y pipe with there electric cutuouts already built into it. But that y pipe does not have cats. If you need cats get the cat y pipe and one electric cutout and weld it on the intermediate pipe. Dont bother with the dynatech, they use a 2.5" y pipe which is restrictive when you start making power.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I am not sure about where to put the electric cut-out. It would go after the cats, but I have no idea where on the Y-pipe.
The only problem with putting the cutout after the cats is, if the cats flow worse than the muffler then the 'restriction' would be taking place before the exhaust gases reached the cutout.

If this is the case there will be little or more likely NO GAIN in power, there would be a massive increase in noise however.

So if the Cats are restrictive then it's a waste of money putting a cut after them.

Use this formula as a guide:

2.2cfm for every 1bhp

So if you plan on having your engine making 400bhp (engine NOT wheels!!!),

then 2.2 x 400 = 880cfm. This is the minimal flow capacity. If there is to be a cat/muffler per cylinder bank, half the figure. As of course there is only half the number of cylinders and exhaust gases.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast
Yeah, the Dyna's seemed a bit steep.....$1300 for headers, cats and Y. They had a pic of it all assembled in the Jeg's catalog. I have not priced the Kooks....I assumed they would be $$$$

Could someone attach a link to some electric cutouts?

Thanks for the reply
Here is what I would go with. With this setup, you would probably see a realistic 35 HP gain. I included links so you don't have to search around! These are the cheapest I've seen these...

Headers: Pacesetter - $375
Catted Y: TSP - $325
Electric Cutout: QTP - $152
Exhaust: Magnaflow - $369
Total: $1221

It's all up to you on what you decide because it's your money and your preference on what you want...but this is an ideal setup and a great setup too.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definatly Coated Pacesetters, unless you have the big bucks to spend on KOOKS QTP etc. For the catted Y TSP is supposed to have one of the easiest to bolt up to any LT. And If you like the whole "catback" look there are alot better compaines to use for that, BORLA, CORSA, LM, BORLAMOUTH. Or if your wanting more of a "race" type exhuast look into some true duals, its going to run you pritty damn close to the same price as the cutout and y and catback. Here is my new setup, Pacesetter Race LTs, summits x pipe kit, sweet thunders and dumps before the axle. If you want to see pics just search, many of the guys here have setups and pics to show. Good Luck man!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

I'm guessing that by removing the cats I would have to do something to trick the 'puter? I would prefer true duals........3" all the way back and dumped. Now, with no cats and XR-1's would cutouts make much difference?

Obviously I'm a bit ignorant to these things.......I know how I think it should be done....but need some experienced advice.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to have clearance issues with xr-1s, i would recomedn dynomax bullets or sweet thunders.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Even if I went with the oval instead of round? My car isn't lowered.....yet....planning on the eibach springs and 18's all around.

Just trying to avoid performance and clearance issues. I saw the some headers reduce clearance....

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations so far

Last edited by Beast; 10-08-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

if thats the case get pacesetters and TSP true duals and be done with it, like $900-1000.