Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screened or de-screened

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screened or de-screened

i have an 85mm maf and i was just wondering if it was safe to descreen it, and if so, will i see much power gain? thanks!!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

If you do, it won't be much power gain if any at all. Descreening a MAF is hit or miss from car to car. By miss I mean your LS1 may run like complete ****.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah and it's harder to tune it without the screen, at least that what I have been told.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AssKickingLS1
Yeah and it's harder to tune it without the screen, at least that what I have been told.
How would a honeycomb screen or nothing at all have anything to do with tuning? I am not aiming this at you Asskicking, I just want to know if anyone will pipe up and give us an answer. Im curious too, considering i just descreened mine the other day, and really noticed no difference except for air flow is quieter.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

i've too much debris get past my filter to descreen my maf. all it takes is one thing to touch those wires, not to mention if anything does get past the filter it goes straight into your motor.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
How would a honeycomb screen or nothing at all have anything to do with tuning? I am not aiming this at you Asskicking, I just want to know if anyone will pipe up and give us an answer. Im curious too, considering i just descreened mine the other day, and really noticed no difference except for air flow is quieter.
I'll chime in. THe screen serves to direct the airflow in a controlled way so that the MAF sensor can measure the amount of air going into the intake. THe stock MAF sensor is good for a little over 600HP so its best to just leave it alone. I was curious about this and descreened mine last year and noticed 0 gains. So I put a screen back on. A word of CAUTION!!... Automatic (A4) use the MAF sensor readings to adjust transmission line pressure and removing the screen has been known to cause problems. Us M6 can get away with descreening the MAF a little more.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll chime in. THe screen serves to direct the airflow in a controlled way so that the MAF sensor can measure the amount of air going into the intake. THe stock MAF sensor is good for a little over 600HP so its best to just leave it alone. I was curious about this and descreened mine last year and noticed 0 gains. So I put a screen back on. A word of CAUTION!!... Automatic (A4) use the MAF sensor readings to adjust transmission line pressure and removing the screen has been known to cause problems. Us M6 can get away with descreening the MAF a little more.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

so how did you re-screen it? looks like you would almost have to get a new one. And did you just use another stock screen or fab one up?

I found that my screen has been spotless other than some carb buildup that shows on your finger tips if you touch it.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Deleted Dupe

Last edited by FUN LS1; 10-08-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spy2520
i've too much debris get past my filter to descreen my maf. all it takes is one thing to touch those wires, not to mention if anything does get past the filter it goes straight into your motor.
Ditto.. I've pulled stuff out of the screen that I would NOT want in my intake or engine... Don't Do It, except for a pass at the track...
Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

haha, what is with the double posts guys?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, what is with the double posts guys?
DOH!!! When I first tried to save it, I got an error, so I hit STOP in the browser, edited the text, and then hit save again expecting to ahve just one post. Wheres' the DELETE button???
Old 10-08-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...better???

1999 Hugger Orange SS
Comp 244/248 / LS1 Stage II Ported Heads

Man, that's a big cam... What's the lift? ...at .004/6 and .050...
Old 10-08-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the purpose of the screen is not to keep debris out of your intake. thats what the air filter is for.

the purpose of the screen is to evenly distribute air across the MAF so that it can get an accurate reading.
if u take it out it maky or may not have a positive result.

1 of 2 things will happen.

either your car will not measure a small portion of air comming in tricking the computer and automaticaly leaning it out, which will add a small amount of timing/power.

or it will read that there is more air comming in the intake than there really is, causing the computer to dump more fuel and it running rich which will foul out plugs and cause all sorts of problems.

that statement about it varying car to car is very true...
Old 10-08-2005, 07:25 AM

Don't F*** with the MAF. They are calibrated to flow air through the screen. By removing it you change the airflow and the Calibration is off. May help an untunned car, but after tunning you will have problems. Other mods may cause problems afs well.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black00TA
the purpose of the screen is not to keep debris out of your intake. thats what the air filter is for.

the purpose of the screen is to evenly distribute air across the MAF so that it can get an accurate reading.
Thanks, good to know. Still, I pulled a feather out of mine once that must have hit the K&N filter like an arrow, quill first, and shot straight through. (No, the rest of the bird was not in the CAI, ha ha) The screen may not be for filtering, but I'm glad it stopped that feather. I'm surprised I didn't run funny with it plastered on the screen...
Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

don't mess with your MAF unless you plan to !MAF
Old 10-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Question

The LS1/M6 I bought for my '69 Camaro came with a de-screened maf. The donor car was a 2000 WS6 with a LS1 Motorsports airlid. Is this a case of the owner removing the screen?
How would I replace the screen?
Any help is appreciated.
ATAK
Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc.
The LS1/M6 I bought for my '69 Camaro came with a de-screened maf. The donor car was a 2000 WS6 with a LS1 Motorsports airlid. Is this a case of the owner removing the screen?
How would I replace the screen?
Any help is appreciated.
ATAK
Get a new one (maf) or just dont worry about it. I descreened mine and it did nothing. When I cut the air foils out of it and smoothed it up it made a difference.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd leave it screened. When I put the lid on my car I noticed some debris in the screen. That made me leave mine the way it is.