Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad ground clearance help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ground clearance help!!

pacesetter LT's, TSP OFY with 2 catco cats welding in, loudmouth catback
Attached Thumbnails Bad ground clearance help!!-im000678.jpg  
Old 10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy smokes Batman.... That's not good. I don't have LT's, so don't take my word for fact, but looking at it, it looks like you're only an inch or so below the rest of the car. I assume that is a 3" Y-pipe? Consiter maybe going back to 2.5 for an additional half inch? I don't know how far the LT's come down, but can you move the cats closer to them so they're closer to where they were stock?

Is the car lowered? If you've got a 2" drop, you may also consiter upgrading to a 1" drop? :shrug:

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

WOW That sux. You must be lowered. Look for some spring spacers that wedge in between the coils of you springs.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

thats why i havent got headers yet. i really wanted pacesetters, but i have to have cats for inspection, and every pic i've seen of the tsp is LOW. i may just have to save up for jet hots.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This low clearance is not the norm. There's gotta be room to tuck that thing higher.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Sadly, it looks about like mine. Here's what I did to get more clearance:

1) On the catback, see if you can get the pipe that goes up over the axle to go in further. This will bring the i-pipe and y-pipe up tighter.
2) Get a Mufflex bump-stop hanger or get some thick heat-proof padding and wedge it between the driver's side y-pipe and the floorboard, since it WILL now bang against the floorboard.

There is a brace between the inner frame rail and the outer lip. Because of this brace, the y-pipe angles down just after leaving the merge collectors. Unfortunately, TSP seems to angle theirs down quite a bit, and it never angles back to level (or back up).

Had I to do it over again, I would not have purchased my y-pipe. I would have purchased the cats and taken it to a muffler shop and had something fabbed.

-Mike
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

Sadly, it looks about like mine. Here's what I did to get more clearance:

1) On the catback, see if you can get the pipe that goes up over the axle to go in further. This will bring the i-pipe and y-pipe up tighter.
2) Get a Mufflex bump-stop hanger or get some thick heat-proof padding and wedge it between the driver's side y-pipe and the floorboard, since it WILL now bang against the floorboard.

There is a brace between the inner frame rail and the outer lip. Because of this brace, the y-pipe angles down just after leaving the merge collectors. Unfortunately, TSP seems to angle theirs down quite a bit, and it never angles back to level (or back up).

Had I to do it over again, I would not have purchased my y-pipe. I would have purchased the cats and taken it to a muffler shop and had something fabbed.

-Mike
Great advise. I've also tried hanging a few exhausts myself and have always ended up taking them to an exhaust shop for final nip/tuck for clearance. Nothing beats the rigidity of a welded hanger/seam in the correct location.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys see that rib that runs on the bottom of the car? That needs to be cut out. I always cut it out. If you cut it out then you can run the y pipe or whatever kind of pipe you have straight off th header without angling it down.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine doesn't angle down like that...ill take better FULL pics of the exhaust later on...but i just got cleaned up to go to a local car show

BTW, my car has stock ride highth BUT i was gonna lower it with the eibach prokit but intill i get this prob solved i wont be lowering it with anything
Old 10-15-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

My car is lowered and after installing my tsp duals, my clearance sucked. I did the following to correct the issue:

1)Purchased a torque arm from summit racing equipment- allowed me to push the duals up in the tunnel.
2)Banged in the sided of the driveshaft tunnel with a rubber hammer- gave me an inch or two
3)Played around with the position of the muffler hangers until the position was just right.
4)Used a jack with a piece of wood as a crossbrace to raise the duals up to the right position then I did step #3.

Now I have good clearance even with lowering springs. I am still careful when driving an avoid any object that protrudes from the ground.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

I forgot to mention, I bought different clamps from summit which clamp down more than cheap band clamps. I also used high temp. sensor safe RTV sealant and applied it to the ends of the tubing before I connected everything together. Makes for a good seal. stainless works does this.

Quick Reply: Bad ground clearance help!!