Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter w/ Stock Y and cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter w/ Stock Y and cats?

Hey guys,

I want to get some pacesetter headers. Id rather pay $300 than $600 for the headers with a high flow cats and new Y pipe so I was wondering:

what kind of power I would be sacrificing if I kept the stock Y and cats on with paesetter headers?

Would it negate the HP increase from the headers and make it sound like crap?

Thanks,
Lane
Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think the pacesetter lts will fit with stock y pipe will it?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock Y wouldn't fit the headers w/o ALOT of customization. The cats would have to be put into the Y customly too. Bottom line is that you would probly save money getting the Pacesetter Y over trying to have something thrown together with your stock stuff.
Even if you could get it to work... the stock cats would choke the LT's and the stock Ypipe would be strangling the power, pretty much cancelling out the benefits of LT's.
JMHO...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Launching!

stock headers won't fit stock Y and I wouldn't try and make it fit-its pretty junky, the left side is all flatened, which might not be bad depending on the total flow area, but I'm sure GM didn't worry to much with it. You could have a shop cut it and make it fit, but then your paying just as much as getting a new Y which you can install yourself. You could keep the stock cats and have them welded into the new Y, they flow decent-not as god as some hi po flowing ones, but if your on a budget they work. I'm going to be running stock cats, of course the hole needs to be widened to make them fit. I've done this before so it does work pretty well. If your looking to save some more money try flowtechs-its what I have, they are the same design as hookers-same parent company (holly) but much cheaper, and they work really well-haven't had any problems. 230 dollars for the headers and 99 for the Y pipe. The price is from a non sponsor, but they are a big company so it shouldn't be hard to fid, or just PM me if your interested.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can go without cats, just find a used ory. But if you are going to keep the stock y pipe and cats, dont buy longtubes.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock Y is total garbage!!!! Take a good look at it. You'll be amazed as to how your engine pushes air through there.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock Y-pipe isn't bad just because the driver's side looks like a pancake. It really flows pretty well. The flat drivers side does not affect flow in a significant detrimental way. This is a common misconception.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? So, the flat cross sectional area is the same as the non-flattened side? Never thought of it that way, but it must be. Nevertheless, once a cam has more air pumping, you need more I.D. and the long tubes won't fit upto the longer stock y-pipe without hacking them up. Stock cats would need to be relocated also.

Edit: assuming cam install in future
Old 10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I agree with most. Save your money and buy a catted Y pipe to go with the headers. When you think you're near the money you need, start calling sponsors. Some will sell cheaper than they advertise,or offer free shipping, or both.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

...or if you are patient, buy the headers, save some more, get the Y you want....
Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright cool. Thanks for all the replys! I guess I'll be getting the pacesetter uncoated with tsp's y and hi flow cats. I guess $600 isnt so bad.