Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Best reason for true-dual install on an LS1
Excellent Airflow!
10.71%
The Sound!
71.43%
Just to say you have it
7.14%
to scare old ladies and stuck up snobs
10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Back pressure question.. exhaust, true dual opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back pressure question.. exhaust, true dual opinions

My current setup - LT's, ORY + Borla XR1 Race Muffler

my y pipes gotta go, its got a chunk missing from hitting too many driveways and I want a dual system,

do you think ill gain some back pressure with my LT's + summit universal X-Pipe + True duals + 2 Borla Xr1's?

much of a difference or just sound? Opinions on true-dual systems on 2000 and up camaros?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLPCAMAROSS
My current setup - LT's, ORY + Borla XR1 Race Muffler

my y pipes gotta go, its got a chunk missing from hitting too many driveways and I want a dual system,

do you think ill gain some back pressure with my LT's + summit universal X-Pipe + True duals + 2 Borla Xr1's?

much of a difference or just sound? Opinions on true-dual systems on 2000 and up camaros?
Why 2000 and up?

98 and 99 models aren't so different.

As for your poll, well I don't see the point and none of the options are suitable answers.

-Only well designed system have good air flow, which can quite easily be matched by a well designed Y setup.
-Sound, this is subjective. Yes I personally like the sound of a dual setup. But a Y setup can sound just as good, just slightly different. It's like saying what tastes better strawberry or chocolate ice cream?
-To say you have it, wow RICER comment or over inflated ego. To brag usually means you're inferior.
-I assume the last option is aimed at volume. A dual system IS NOT LOUDER THAN A Y PIPE. It depends how you design it, if you had a 4" Y with either no mufflers or a small straight thru one which has EXCESS flow rate and dumped it before the rear axel it would be as loud as duals dumped before the axel. A Corvette can run after market duals and still sound relatively quiet.

Sorry if I sound a bit hard on you. But what you're asking is pretty stupid an immature IMO.

Remember just because people believe a thing (like TD's are better/louder) doesn't mean it's true.

And with some thiing as complex and subtle as a car, there are lots of variations.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for your smart *** reply but you havent answered any of my questions.
Dont bother replying to this either because im not going back and forth with you.
Have a nice day
Old 10-21-2005, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

i think true duals flow is a bit excessive. if you havent looked at the long thread i started asking about backpressure, you may want to take a look. it states you need 2.2 cfm of flow per hp. that means a 350 fhp motor needs 770 cfm of exhaust flow optimally. they also say that a single 2.5" straight pipe flows 521 cfm so i guess duals would be around 1042 cfm. according to that whole 2.2:1 theory, that means an engine pushing 473-474 at the flywheel could take the most out of this exhaust. add mufflers and it will be closer to what you need it to be. but i'm sure my 3" y-pipe and cutout flow just fine for me. thats just what i got from the thread.

that doesnt include the change in flow due to bends in the pipe either so thats another thing to think about.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
-Only well designed system have good air flow, which can quite easily be matched by a well designed Y setup.
I agree.

-To say you have it, wow RICER comment or over inflated ego. To brag usually means you're inferior.
WTF!? That is a pretty stupid reason to have duals. I hope nobody picked that in the poll

-I assume the last option is aimed at volume. A dual system IS NOT LOUDER THAN A Y PIPE. It depends how you design it, if you had a 4" Y with either no mufflers or a small straight thru one which has EXCESS flow rate and dumped it before the rear axel it would be as loud as duals dumped before the axel.
A 3" dual system is undoubtedly louder than a 3" y-pipe setup. I had LT's/ORY and a bullet dumped before the axle and it was raspy, dirty sounding, loud. My 3" duals with bullets dumped before the axle were INSANELY BADASS LOUD. Add a cam or torque converter and forget about it, no comparison when it comes to volume. BTW, a 3" dual setup (OTA) on a Vette with no mufflers is teeth shattering loud. Just ask my brother.

Sorry if I sound a bit hard on you. But what you're asking is pretty stupid an immature IMO.
Why? Have you ever done ANY appearance mods to your car? Have you ever asked somebody's opinion? If you answered yes, then by this logic you must also be pretty stupid and immature.

Remember just because people believe a thing (like TD's are better/louder) doesn't mean it's true.
Right, but personal experience and raw data to support the theory does.

Obviously from my response you know how I feel. Companies like Bassani, Speed Inc, TSP, and Lanes Wheels (not sure if he's a sponsor yet) have pretty well designed systems in terms of performance. Actually, as good a design as the underbody of the car will allow barring any structural modifications.

If I wasn't worried about clearance I would have kept my TSP duals. For the life of me though I couldn't get the proper clearance out of them. Many guys here have though. Also, duals with a cam and torque converter like myself would be "you-must-wish-you-were-deaf" loud.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

BTW, I noticed the reason you want to replace it is because your y-pipe is scraping. You won't have any better results with true duals.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Why 2000 and up?

98 and 99 models aren't so different.

As for your poll, well I don't see the point and none of the options are suitable answers.

-Sound, this is subjective. Yes I personally like the sound of a dual setup. But a Y setup can sound just as good, just slightly different. It's like saying what tastes better strawberry or chocolate ice cream?
-I assume the last option is aimed at volume. A dual system IS NOT LOUDER THAN A Y PIPE. It depends how you design it, if you had a 4" Y with either no mufflers or a small straight thru one which has EXCESS flow rate and dumped it before the rear axel it would be as loud as duals dumped before the axel. A Corvette can run after market duals and still sound relatively quiet.

And with some thiing as complex and subtle as a car, there are lots of variations.
...what a ***
Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kpowr82
BTW, I noticed the reason you want to replace it is because your y-pipe is scraping. You won't have any better results with true duals.
thats right .... the driver side pipe between the header and x or y is the lowest point if the system is built right
Old 10-21-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

also depending on what catback u have a y pipe is louder than duals

duals idle alot quiter than a loudmouth does with a cam
Old 10-21-2005, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryan-63nova
...what a ***
haha i agree

Thanks for your help guys appreciate it. I'll post up some pics when im down with the install. Im going to have it done tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300 is very good when it comes to the flow of exhaust gasses and how pipe dia. come into play...
SLP for someone who asked for help and he gave you his opinion, it is just that "an opinion" you know what they say about that....
btw, SLPCamaro & ryan... grow up you two. how immuture can people really get. you asked for people's opinions, and he gave you one.
I have formed a opinion about you two as well, but it has nothing to do with the orginal thread topic.
how unsophisticated can you really be?

to answer a exhaust questions... a 2.5" dual setup will handle about 450rwhp if it is a good system with true mandrel bends. BUT, a good mandral 3" Y w/ a good merge collector and a 3" CB will handle about the same. then it comes down to the type of mufflers that you select has a effect on flow as well. most of the time, a muffler with a high scfm/cfm rating will be loader... though, magnaflow's flow well and are pretty quiet. duals will cut down on the rasp, but I just got done doing a buddy's new ORY setup. it used to be a cheap 3" Y, now it is a true 3" mandrel bend into a flowmaster Y merge collector w/ a 3.5" outlet into the magnaflow CB and the sound changed a lot. it got a little more quiet at idle, much smoother, and there is no more rasp that is common with a cheap ORY and a MagnaFlow.

but please, for the sake of everyone else on this site. please keep your immature comments to yourself.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

300BHP/TON For the second and last time:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU
... if you can't make a point without bashing people, you may want to rethink posting here.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryan-63nova
...what a ***
a *** in england is a cigarette.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is America too, so I see what they are saying!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry about the joke but i had too. anyway is this car going to have cats , mufflers, and is money no object. you can have several exhaust put on and have them flow tested or have an exhaust custom done. even then you still might not get the optimum flow. i see you live around ny, so have it custom done with a nice dual sys with h pipe. it works. good luck
Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sound ... I think thats the only reason to get a dual system over a Y setup. As people above have said, a Ypipe can be made to flow just as well for an LS1. Most aftermarket Ypipes for Headers come with very crappy merge collectors, however a custom Ypipe made well will not restrict any(or atleast VERY few hp).

The bottom line is that duals have a sound, that is very hard to immitate w/ a Ysetup. Not saying there aren't great sounding Ysetups. But its just a different sound.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not about "backpressure" it is about scavenging and the velocity of the exhuast.. To big a system doesn't hurt you by creating too little backpressure but by causing your exhaust velocity to drop to much and you loose the scavenging effect, thus hurting performance.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also you lose that low end kick that you would normally have for having high velocity exhaust gases through appropriate sized pipe.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

You definately won't gain clearance with TD's. They sound good, and there is performance to be had, even over a good y-pipe setup. That's just physics. Two 2.5" pipes will flow more air and maintain a higher velocity while doing it. A single 3" pipe can't possible move as much air, or do it as quickly as 2 2.5" pipes. That's not to say there is a huge difference between a good y-pipe setup vs. TD's. There are lots of very fast cars running single exhaust systems. Duals are always louder than a comperable single setup, but sound good. I'd say performance and sound are two reasons to go duals. If my car was a track car, I'd run dumped true duals. I drive my car only on the street(in CA ) and don't want to deal with the negative side effects of duals: CARB trouble, loss of ground clearance, banging, and a loud exhaust. Not to mention the extra attention from "Johnny Law."
Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i just did mine a few months ago.. full true dual system with some borlas and long tubes...... sounds SICK. Just wait till the cam gets in