Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Mods Lower MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Mods Lower MPG?

All in the same day, I added an SLP lid, K&N filter and did the FRA mod. Since i've done them, I noticed my gas has been getting eaten up faster. I drive 1.5 miles to work and back and don't drive it outside of that much, so I've noticed it easily. I figured my MPG would increase after these.

I almost thought my roomate was taking her out for joyrides when I slept it was so noticable. haha..

Is this normal? Maybe she just needs to be tuned you think? I plan to after I drop my headers in.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Free Ram Air" may give you elevated IATs and then
the computer will pull out spark. The K&N is more of
a long term hygeine issue and the lid is only going to
help.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Banned

Get a FTRA, I think I noticed my MPG increase a little.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

how big a drop in mileage are you talking? It could be from your right foot gaining weight
Old 10-23-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why did you add the lid, filter, & the FRA mod.? If you didn't do it because you wanted more power, then change it back. More air + more fuel = more power. The ECU (ECM) will add fuel to an increase in air volume in order to maintain A/F ratios. If you want better fuel mileage, throw a tornado in the intake. This will choke the air flow (decrease the volume of air entering the engine), the ECU will pull fuel, & you'll have your increased gas mileage.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

well with the lid it will increase mpg when your not in the throttle....so if your driving 1.5 miles to work...its probably not highway driving, so its gonna suck up more gas since your going to be hitting the gas more. I put a lid on my car and a catback and went from 23-24 mpg in a tank to about 28-29mpg....but its mostly hgihway...as soon as i'm driving around town before I fill up i see the gauge going down a lot faster.