Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight pipe or gutt cat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight pipe or gutt cat?

im doing it tomarrow and i would like to gut the cat because of the police especially in cali where i live but would a gutted cat be just as loud as a straight pipe?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

gutted cats will probably not be as loud, but it may sound a bit hollow and raspy.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I got my cats gutted and it sounds like an exhaust leak above over 2500rpm. Just get a piece of pipe welded in place and get the shell of the cat welded over them for inspection.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 85firebird
im doing it tomarrow and i would like to gut the cat because of the police especially in cali where i live but would a gutted cat be just as loud as a straight pipe?
Don't gut it if you have a choice. When I gutted mine I got the wu-wu-wu-wu-wu sound from my exhaust as I accelerated through second and into 3rd gear until I reached my steady cruise speed. I hate it. I'm getting them taken off soon just becaused of that.

BTW, if your cops are like our cops, especially the State Troopers, most of them have a laser light thermometer, they aim it at your cats and if the temps aren't way higher than the exhaust pipe right next to it....your busted anyway. And probably worse than just not having them. Me, I could care less if they catch me without them.