Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after header install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem after header install

OK, this has happened 3 times now after my header install. I go to start the car (has happened cold and hot), push the clutch in and turn the key but nothing happens. It seems like the neutral safety switch is activated and not letting the car start. This morning I held the key in the start position for a few seconds and it started and one other time I turned the key back to off and then to start and it fired right up. Could this be a big coincidence (sp?) and maybe I need to replace the neutral safety switch? Or are my headers melting some wires somewhere and causing a problem. I did notice the headers are somewhat close to the starter wires but there isn't a whole lot I can do because they can't be moved. I think I'll find some heat wrap to try and help the situation. Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be willing to be it is your clutch safety switch, my car does that every now and then. If it melted wires it would stay not starting, because it would blow the fuse.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I'd be willing to be it is your clutch safety switch, my car does that every now and then. If it melted wires it would stay not starting, because it would blow the fuse.
That's what I was thinking but you know how weird things can happen.

I'm assuming the switch should be near the clutch pedal since the clutch has to engage it. Anybody know how much the part costs or if it's difficult to install?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing, hold the key and slowly let up the clutch and it will start, the switch is on the top of the clutch pedal under the dash.