Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDs or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDs or not

i need help on an exhaust setup. i am going to be running pacesetter headers but i don't what mufflers would be the best with a td setup. i also thought about running a ory with the headers but i don't know with what setup.
please give me some help
thanks shaun
Old 10-25-2005, 01:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am all about the TD's I have a custom setup that I use with FLP lt's and is absolutely great. Get some bullet mufflers and you will be very happy. What other mods have you done? Full bolt-ons or just starting off the process?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

i am just starting off. i have done 3.73, hypertech, 160 degree stat, lowered the lca bracket on rearend, 17" tt2

shaun
Old 10-25-2005, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

I have pacesetters, ory, and slp LM. I can tell you that it sounded like ****! Without the headers it was fine. Nice and LOUD. But now its raspy as hell and I am too going TD's. I am going to order the TSP TD's
Mike
Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

I had just Pacesetters and slp LM, loved them when I was rolling around town messing around. Some of the chicks loved it, but some didn't like the fact that they could talk or hear me(not really complaining). I finally put a bullet muffler in the intermediate pipe of the LM (wish SLP could have came out with there retro kit sooner) so the sound is like the Loudmouth before the headers but at WOT it sounds almost like just the headers and ory. If and when there is a good TD kit that will reach over the axle I'll switch and get some nice tips. Right now I have spent less then $700 for my entire system, headers and catback.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by black99ls1
i need help on an exhaust setup. i am going to be running pacesetter headers but i don't what mufflers would be the best with a td setup. i also thought about running a ory with the headers but i don't know with what setup.
please give me some help
thanks shaun
TD's can be great and when above a certain HP level (500bhp or so) will allow better flow than a 3" Y setup.

However the down side is you'll have to custom make a TD setup.

I've already designed one for my car, but I'm serioulsy considering going with a Cat back for price, fitment and clearance reasons.

If you're after good mufflers, check out Powersticks (use Google and Search for Classic Chambered Exhuast), Stainless works offer something similar in stainless steel.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

How do you figure an X or H pipe TD setup to be more efficient above 500hp? I mean don't get me wrong, I think that it is the way to go, but what do you base that on over a y setup? (not trying to be a ******) <--------- Just never heard an opinion on it really from a certain HP standpoint.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
How do you figure an X or H pipe TD setup to be more efficient above 500hp? I mean don't get me wrong, I think that it is the way to go, but what do you base that on over a y setup? (not trying to be a ******) <--------- Just never heard an opinion on it really from a certain HP standpoint.
basically I personally think the Y pipe gets a bad rap for no real reason. Many V engined rally and race (circuit) cars use Y setups (LG Corvette for starters).

This is beacuse a Y setup has similar scavenging characteristics as an X pipe. Or course the Y needs to be well designed, but so does the X.

The real limitation with the Y is the flow rate. My TR7 has a Y pipe and it flows great (is what the British Leyland Works Rally team used), but it's only a 3.5 litre V8 with 230bhp n/a (350bhp for the rally cars). A tuned Ls1 producing 500bhp will also be producing a lot more exhaust gases. So much so that a 3" Y will no longer be able to flow affectivley enough (or only just). So by this level a 4" Y is really a sensible option, but you'll then have some major issues with fitment and clearance.

A 2.5" dual setup will out flow a 3" Y so will be more efficent at 500bhp. A 3" dual setup would be over kill and you'd likely loose a little low end grunt.

In all its a subjective opinion, but instead of doing loads of calculations I was just generlising.

The formula is 2.2cfm per 1hp, so by calculating the cross section you should be able to derive the flow rate for the tubing bore. On a bolt on Fbody I doubt there would really be any difference in performance over a 3" Y and a 2.5" dual setup (provide they where both well designed systems).

If you have a h/c/i, NOS and/or blower then a dual setup will definatley be the better option.

all the above IMO of course
Old 10-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have made up my mind i am going to true duals but i still unsure which mufflers i am going to use.
shaun

thanks everyone for your opinions and help.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I tend to agree with our overseas friend. For the HP levels most run, TD isn't necessary. But when has hot rodding always been about "what's necessary" ? My pacesetters/ORY/BorlaMouth is fine for me, but if I had a lift and a welding machine I'd probably fab up some duals, just because.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Go with the Twister mufflers.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

I have heard that the borla true dual set up adds quite a bit of under the curve power compared to other systems out there. I believe it is made to run with the stock manifolds but can be modified to work with most longtube set ups. Check out http://www.vincihighperformance.com
Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by memphisTa
I have heard that the borla true dual set up adds quite a bit of under the curve power compared to other systems out there. I believe it is made to run with the stock manifolds but can be modified to work with most longtube set ups. Check out http://www.vincihighperformance.com
I bet that i costs an aceload too.

Anyway. 300....you are my hero! That is what i thought with the TD setup when i went that route because of full boltons and h/c/i w/N2O. that 2.5 X setup is what i have as well, and it makes a difference whether it is out the back or dumped at the rear axle, but yeah I was over powering my SLP y thast i had big time in that case. So you answered a question that needs to be a freaking sticky somewhere on the forum!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I bet that i costs an aceload too.

Anyway. 300....you are my hero! That is what i thought with the TD setup when i went that route because of full boltons and h/c/i w/N2O. that 2.5 X setup is what i have as well, and it makes a difference whether it is out the back or dumped at the rear axle, but yeah I was over powering my SLP y thast i had big time in that case. So you answered a question that needs to be a freaking sticky somewhere on the forum!
no worries.

I think it would be good to have a 'simple' guide to TD's. There's loads of info in the stickys on this site plus others. But it's taken me 2-3 weeks of reading, planning and designing to come up with the answer. I'm sure there's still more to it, but for most of us I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

That cannot be more true as well. I think most people just like the logic behind "true duals"