Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Leak

New Flowtech long tube headers.....Small exhaust leak in the back of the right header Gradually got louder until i couldnt stand it. (3-4 week period to escalate)....replaced gasket with another factory one, all was well......3-4 weeks later I'm right back where i started......pstick....pstick...pstick....I've heard use paper filters, use lock tight or get better header bolts.....Thought about new gaskets but I didn't install these and would have to pay again to get the work done again for the 3rd time.....
Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

the stock gaskets are very good gaskets, maybe the header flange isn't truley flat, and therefore the gasket is being destroyed or something... i dunno. But, you shouldn't have that problem if your headers are torqued down tight (16 ft lbs)
Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure that you are getting decent contact, and I don't know if this will help but see if you can score some Copper Spray, that stuff rocks and worked in the similar situation that you are having for me!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

You are not going to do much with 1/4" header flange. It will warp and give you leaks. Nothing will solve the problem if its a warped flange. Only way would to pull the header, heat the flange and see if you can straighten it out. This is why i went with the high end QTP headers. Never have a problem like this. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

yup what Order66 said you will never get them straight. once its warped their are junk. probably not the install just problems with flowtech flanges beeing a pos.

Quick Reply: Header Leak