Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank pulley

Hey guys I need some tips on get my crank pulley off. I m doing oil pump and timing chian swap and the pulley is being a real bitch!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you really have to get the puller on there straight. if it's off the crank axis by even a little, it will be much harder to get off. Take your time and it will get off of there!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grabbed my little propane torch from home depot and heated up the pulley a little and it came off much easier with the puller. Amazing what a little heat can do! Did the same thing to the asp pulley before putting it on and it slid 80% of the way on the crank snout with my bare hands (+ oven mits!)
Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break the bolt loose, then take it all the way out. Now put it in about 4 full turns, use the puller and take the pulley off as far as you can. Now *I* took the bolt out and put a crappy socket in it's place (big enough to not be able to fit into the bolt hole, but small enough to let the pulley slide out) Then i started wrenching on that till the pulley was off. That's the best way that I can think of, but I'm sure there are better ways. I'm not a fan of using the torch, probably because I don't have one
Old 10-28-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I grabbed my little propane torch from home depot and heated up the pulley a little and it came off much easier with the puller. Amazing what a little heat can do! Did the same thing to the asp pulley before putting it on and it slid 80% of the way on the crank snout with my bare hands (+ oven mits!)
My asp pulley slid on quite a bit without putting into the oven, I think it's tolerances are little bigger than the stock pulley.