Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmater and Un-Modded Macs. :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flowmater and Un-Modded Macs. :D

I've been a defender of Flowmaster and Mac's on this board for years. I know they don't flow as well as some other systems, but for the sound and the price I think they're a valuable option for a lot of F-body owners.

Now I've got some good numbers to back that up with.

Through a Flowmaster Catback, and Mac mid-length headers that are un-moddified, and Mac cats (which are supposed to be the worst flowing units the world has ever seen)

I put down 375 rwhp and 361 rwtq.

That's with a TR 224 and lid, but no pulley, TB, bellows, etc.... Just the intake exhaust, and the 224.

If you ad up what everybody says Mac cats (or even mid-lengths for that matter), and Flowmaster exhaust does for power, does that mean I would be at 400 rwhp with intake, exhaust, and cam only?

Maybe, but for the price, sound, and ease, I'm VERY happy with the results.

Just thought I would share.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that just goes to show.......with a simple muffler swap or cutout, you'd gain 15+rwhp.

Now on a more serious note.....those are good numbers and I'm glad you are happy. How much lope does the 114 have? I'm still sticking to my anti-chokemaster line of thinking though lol. I think there are plenty of mufflers just as cheap that sound just as good and flow way better. Single-patterned cams like yours need a good flowing exhaust(ie. no flowmaster), and I'm sure you'd benefit from a better muffler. Why go through all that work to pull more air through your car just to put a cork in the tailpipe?

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-27-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my crappyholdingupexhaustoverpricednotgoodcatbackmast er a while a go. hehe
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Now on a more serious note.....those are good numbers and I'm glad you are happy. How much lope does the 114 have?

Not much. You can technically tell it's cammed, but through my cats and Flowmaster, it's very mild. It drives like a dream.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Nice! The 224 is a great cali cam. Life is so much better with a cam.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1993CaMaRoZ28ofIdAhO
I sold my crappyholdingupexhaustoverpricednotgoodcatbackmast er a while a go. hehe

...awesome!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

glad that u r happy and those are good #'s. just remember it is ur car and u can mod it however u want
Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

My old set up was a B1, Mac's, flowmaster running 385rwhp consistant 11.90's in the Texas heat.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

what sort of dyno did you use?

Not dissin the numbers at all, but remember a dyno is a tool. And don't really represent how fast a car will be.

But as others have said, it's your car. So as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what other people think.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that this is finally working out for someone out there!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

i'm not really tryign to sound like an jerk or anything, but your not really answering that guys question. your just really telling him that flowmasters dont flow well and that they suck. I think he's more interested in getting some kind of # differences. Like how bad can they possibily be when compared to other exhaust setups? Why dont they flow well. I mean are we talking about 3-4 hp difference, or 10-15hp diff?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by drdarkman
i'm not really tryign to sound like an jerk or anything, but your not really answering that guys question. your just really telling him that flowmasters dont flow well and that they suck. I think he's more interested in getting some kind of # differences. Like how bad can they possibily be when compared to other exhaust setups? Why dont they flow well. I mean are we talking about 3-4 hp difference, or 10-15hp diff?
10-15 on a cam and full exhaust car. He wasn't asking a question, he was making a statement.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
what sort of dyno did you use?

Not dissin the numbers at all, but remember a dyno is a tool. And don't really represent how fast a car will be.

But as others have said, it's your car. So as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what other people think.

You know, I'm not bright enough to know what kind of dyno it was. I do know that its entire reason for existance at this shop (A&A Corvette) is for LSx based engines.

The car is going to be pretty quick now. Last year with just the catback, it went 13.2 with street tires. I haven't run it against the clock since the mods, but my *** tells me she's a LOT faster now. I'm having to re-learn how to drive her, because I can't just stick my foot on the gas anymore and know she'll hold on. Now it's ME holding on!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drdarkman
Thanks for jumping in there man. I wasn't really asking a question, but you can't go wrong trying to hook a brother up.

The flowmaster is known site wide as the blowmaster or the crapmaster, or the "crappyholdingupexhaustoverpricednotgoodcatbackmas t er" () for a reason. They don't flow as well as some of the other brands out there.

A stock car, the difference is probably 2 hp. On a full bolt on and cammed car, the difference is going to be a little higher. BUT, they sound bad ***, and you can get them dirt cheap.

Also, the point I was trying to make, was that if I had LT headers and one of the "good" catbacks, my numbers would not have surprised anybody. So the ML's and Flowmaster can perform from time to time.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear that you like yours. When I bought my car it had the flowmaster on it, and I have gotten used to the sound of the Flowmaster, but will be getting a Hooker when I have some money laying around. Now that I think about it, the Flowmaster is about the only mod on the car that I haven't changed since I bought it.
I think it may be because the cam that I am using needs a real free flowing exaust, but its honestly a night and day difference between going through the flowmaster, and a cut-out. When I press the switch and my cut-out opens, I swear the car picks up atleast 15-20rwhp. Dont have my own dyno numbers yet to show that, but my *** dyno realy feels the difference.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I've been a defender of Flowmaster and Mac's on this board for years. I know they don't flow as well as some other systems, but for the sound and the price I think they're a valuable option for a lot of F-body owners.

Now I've got some good numbers to back that up with.

Through a Flowmaster Catback, and Mac mid-length headers that are un-moddified, and Mac cats (which are supposed to be the worst flowing units the world has ever seen)

I put down 375 rwhp and 361 rwtq.

That's with a TR 224 and lid, but no pulley, TB, bellows, etc.... Just the intake exhaust, and the 224.

If you ad up what everybody says Mac cats (or even mid-lengths for that matter), and Flowmaster exhaust does for power, does that mean I would be at 400 rwhp with intake, exhaust, and cam only?

Maybe, but for the price, sound, and ease, I'm VERY happy with the results.

Just thought I would share.
I have the same setup as you, save for LT's with cats. Put down 375RWHP/363RWTQ.

As for the Flowmaster, even though I have the American Thunder 3" catback and like the sound (especially with the TR 224 cam), it is not the best flowing muffler. Most of this is because it is a crossflow muffler. If you look at the coveted Magnaflow (or GMMG, or Borla), the design is actually a single inlet and twin outlets in a standard fashion. The Magnaflow just wraps the outlet pipe around the back of the muffler and then out the passanger side. These systems will flow more than the Flowmaster 80 series. This is a fact. Now, if you ran a Flowmaster 40 series (single in- single out), the difference would probably be non-existant.

As for me, the potential to gain a few HP is not worth the $450+ cost and my effort to change the system. If I want more power at the track....I'll add a cutout.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Launching!

On a stroker engine (408) the crapmaster exhaust was holding back 28rwhp on back to back runs. One with dual cutouts one through the "flowmaster".
Old 10-31-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
As for me, the potential to gain a few HP is not worth the $450+ cost and my effort to change the system. If I want more power at the track....I'll add a cutout.

I've been trying to say exactly that this whole time, and you summed it all up in 2 sentances.

Don't get me wrong people, I know the flowmaster and catted Mac's don't flow as well as some other things out there. But they don't exactly kill the car either.