Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you have ram air from factory will you gain any hp with slp lid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you have ram air from factory will you gain any hp with slp lid?

any help is appreciated, so if i get an slp lid and do the fra mod that you do with the lid will i gain anything over the factory ram air?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, At least I was able to tell a bit of difference. Also installed smooth bellows at the same time though
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

I have the slp lid and have done the FRA mod. FRA is only good if you are moving, not from a stand still. I also have the slp smooth bellow. The butt-o-meter really cant tell.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Every little bit helps, but by just cutting out the plastic in the 'free ram air' mod, I'm not sure if you're actually doing any good. The kit that SLP sells includes an air duct, and seals that go around the pieces you cut. Without the duct and especially the foam seals, whatever air you free up is only going to basically splash around the engine comp. before it hits the filter. There was also a real Ram Air mod available a few years ago, I think they stopped making it. It was call the 'Brian Green Ram Air mod'. It told you how to cut off the factory blocking channels in your ram air hood, and gave new seals and channels to flow the air. Just cutting out the plastic plates won't do any good if you don't give the air a direction to flow effeciently.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Simple answer..............Yes.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

I installed SLP w/ smooth bellows and performed free air mod. if you arer talking about slp lid only then you can perform mod, if you are talking about slp kit then mod would be different, more for the kit. lid only mod,well my filter gets dirty quick. I think the free ram air mod works in the sense that the inlet hole is bigger so its not sucking air to hard , try sucking from a straw, now make a hole about an inch from end and you can feel the extra free flow, sucking more air in faster. kinda the same. remove baffle in front of radiator and baffle in hood nostril. some take out hood screen too . I left mine in . hope this helps.

fuerzaws6