Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudmouth Backfire

Since i got my loudmouth installed almost a year ago when ever the exhaust is cold it seems back fires when i get of the gas. I say it only happens when the exhaust is cold because in the winter if the car is at full temp but i have had it off for like 30 min when i start it back up car is still at a decent temp but it backfires again. Also the car doesn't have to fully warm up for it to stop it seems to stop once the exhaust heats up. Any ideas? Its really annoying. Is this just a problem with the LM or will it do this no matter what exhaust i put on. i don't know if its an actual back fire it just makes a poping and gurgling noise.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Its sounds like just poping, I have LM too and it does it too, even more w/out the cats. Its just b/c there isnt a muffler or anything to provide resistance so it "pops" for somereason until it warms up. It can get anoying at times but I just love the sound of LM at WOT
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Launching!

i have a Corsa system on my T/A and it does the exact same thing.... pops once or twice every morning, but never does it once it's warm.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I love the sound to, its just that my dad has been giving me a lot of **** about getting the poping fixed cause i wake him up in the morning when i leave for work. I also hate it cause i live right around the corner from Lincoln tech and the car is not usuaully warmed up by the time i get there and they are all standing out side to her me pop as i shift. But oh well. I beat any car they drive.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Loudmouths always pop, that's the natural sound of it, since there is no muffling or restrictions.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:11 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

You have a hollow pipe for a muffler....stick a Borla XR-1 in there and the popping will go away. Will still sound good with headers, too.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

does it happen around 2k rpms? Its just the stokc tuning of the car and running rich as hell, plus cold exhaust makes the unburnt fuel pop.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
does it happen around 2k rpms? Its just the stokc tuning of the car and running rich as hell, plus cold exhaust makes the unburnt fuel pop.

That seems to be when it happens, I might just replace it with the Borla muffler
Old 10-28-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

tht would be the expanding/contracting charecteristics of the metal