Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell after installing CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Smell after installing CAI

Yesterday, I installed a Volant CAI on my WS6 ('00). I reset the PMC so it could do its relearn thing. Drove it around a little and she drove fine. Got on her a little bit, but nothing drastic. Other than some suspension stuff, the Volant's my only mod (looks nice BTW).

This morning I hopped on the interstate and did a brief WOT run to get ahead of a pack of traffic coming up from behind (gotta hate I95 north traffic in the DC area). Just as I was hitting my cruising speed and coming down off the throttle, I noticed a very distinct rotten egg smell.

I did some searching on the site and have read that bad cats and sometimes newly installed headers and ORYs can cause this type of smell. Could a new CAI also cause this? I wouldn't think so... hell, it's only a CAI. Thought I'd ask just to be sure.

I had the driver's side cat replaced under warranty last February after setting a P0420 code. No codes after the new cat was installed. The car's a daily driver (@ 60 miles a day), so I'd imagine the new cat's been wore in by now.

If one or both of the cats are going bad again, can the service dept. tell other than just the rotten egg smell? If they run a diagnositc on it and all parameters seem to be fine, would they still replace them or do I need to be stranded on the side of the road before they'll do anything?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure nothing is rubbing the belts or anything touching the exhaust.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Make sure nothing is rubbing the belts or anything touching the exhaust.
Thanks for the suggestion. Nothing I can see or feel for is rubbing.

I've got on it a couple times since that morning and I can't seem to reproduce the smell. I'm begining to wonder if maybe it wasn't a car in front of me that was having the cat problem. There were a couple cars that all seemed to be doing the same WOT run I was to beat approaching traffic.

Marc
Old 11-04-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Even if it's not a cat that's causing the smell, I'd still look into the reason that your 1st one failed. If you don't fix the problem that caused the 1st one to fail, it's only a matter of time before you have another cat go bad.