Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR System melting off then exhaust blowing off?? HELP..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR System melting off then exhaust blowing off?? HELP..

hey guys...
the cars a ls1 01 camaro with an sts setup. built bottom end 8.65CR, stock top end, 8ps1 gt67 turbo......tuned by cartek...

heres the scoop:
the cars been back on the road for three months and been runnin real strong since with the new motor. then we cruise from buffalo to rochester for some races....we took it easy on the trip up, 75mph in 6th at 2k. cars fine all the way up there.. then, get outa the toll booth and "rattle rattle" when i hit the gas....****, i gota leak.

we open the hood and find the rubber hose for the air pump melted off, along with the clamp. so we cut the hose clean, and zip tie it back on. we end up doin this four times, with a metal hose clamp the last.....keeps melting off.

so the next mornin i make some blockoff plates for the exhaust manifolds. car's back to runnin strong.... make another 45min trip to the track..drive hard.... get 3 runs in.. and on the third, i shift hard into 4th, hear a little grind/rattle/drone..... hit the gas....no boost..

the egr blockoffs i made were still good...im assuming the exhaust is leaking on the bottom of the car.... on the ride home i notices the rear end seemed loose like the tq arm got loose.....

so i guess my question is: what is causing all these problems with my exhuast? it seems wierd that all a sudden this **** is happenin.... the engines runnin strong when i fix these problems...but it obivously shouldnt be messin up like this

Last edited by Turbo LS1 SS; 10-31-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The rubber hose for the AIR pump melting is something I have seen before. It happened on a friends '02 WS6 shortly after we put the Procharger on. The check valve went bad and allowed hot exhaust to blow into the AIR system and melted the hose.

Only thing your setup has in common with that WS6 is boost. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, other than more exhaust pressure in the system.....but in his case it was only one check valve that failed. Did both of yours do this?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The rubber hose for the AIR pump melting is something I have seen before. It happened on a friends '02 WS6 shortly after we put the Procharger on. The check valve went bad and allowed hot exhaust to blow into the AIR system and melted the hose.

Only thing your setup has in common with that WS6 is boost. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, other than more exhaust pressure in the system.....but in his case it was only one check valve that failed. Did both of yours do this?
yes...i meant air pump my bad...

yea my buddy told me the same thing about the check valve going bad....but that sounds dead on...im just takin the whole air pump out cuz i can pass inspection around it....

i just wanted to make sure something bad wasnt causing this...

thx for the info