Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gains from stock manifolds/Loudmouth to open headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gains from stock manifolds/Loudmouth to open headers

I've gotten some Hooker LT's installed on my play/race car, a 2000 Camaro SS A4. We eliminated the air pump and since it's a race car I see no need to install any exhaust system whatsoever on the car. The car had pretty much no power producing mods before except for an LS6 intake, 85mm meter, MTI lid and an underdrive pulley. I'm not sure what those did for me as I bought the car like that and didn't have performance numbers without those mods. It's got a Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears and some Hoosier Quick Time Pro's for traction. Converter is a Yank PT4000. The car ran a best 1/8th mile of 7.81 @ 87 n'change in mid 70 degree heat before the headers. I know what people have gained by switching to LT headers both untuned and tuned. Should I expect similar gains even though I'm running open headers or should I expect more? Any thoughts? I should see some gains at the track as I'm losing over 50 pounds from the exhaust system. Thanks for any input. BTW, the car is getting tuned next week after a visit to the track tomorrow night. I'll be able to give concrete number on a header install before and after tune.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

you will loose low end numbers and gain in the top end. If you are autocrossing the car will be in the upper rpm range so you will be ok just very loud. don't drive it on the street as people will probably call the cops because it will be very loud. good luck
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Old Drag Racer

I don't plan on driving the car around, especially in town. I've driven many cars with open headers through the years so I know how loud they can be. The car is at a shop way out in the country that just happens to be a 1/4 mile from the dragstrip. The shop owner and dragstrip owner are one and the same. I'm just going to drive it around long enough to establish some long term fuel trims per Jeff Creech so he (Carolina Auto Masters) will have something to work with when I send him the computer next week. I was hoping to pick up something in the mid range to help me with my 60' times. The car is still really heavy as I haven't done much weight reduction wise to this point. Having not driven the car yet, I don't know what to expect but I'm hoping for some high 7.60's out of the car even untuned. That may be too much to hope for but I'll see. Should I see more gains that those that install headers and still keep the full exhaust system? I'm thinking I should but I may be off in that assumption.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Launching!

When I had mine i drove it for like 2 months around daytona with open headers never got pulled over once.

Quick Reply: Gains from stock manifolds/Loudmouth to open headers