Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Duals on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP Duals on the way...

I know its gonna be loud...I was thinking of somehow incorporating some short Sweet Thunder mufflers into the system and running it out the back with some tips.

Opinions?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

What mufflers did you order them with?
Get them installed and tucked up real good and drive it a bit and decide if you want to alter the sound. I didn't know how i felt about the bullets from all the clips and opinions I heard on the board, but once I drove it for a bit, I see no reason to change.
they sound kickass as far as im concerned.

And once you get them installed and tucked and clearanced, you can then decide if you want to extend it out the back.

good luck yo

DJ
Old 11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I know its gonna be loud...I was thinking of somehow incorporating some short Sweet Thunder mufflers into the system and running it out the back with some tips.

Opinions?
I have sweet thunder's welded in place of the bullets. If I were you and had the money I would route them out the back. If I ever get the T/A rear end that I'm wanting, that's what I will do.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
What mufflers did you order them with?
Get them installed and tucked up real good and drive it a bit and decide if you want to alter the sound. I didn't know how i felt about the bullets from all the clips and opinions I heard on the board, but once I drove it for a bit, I see no reason to change.
they sound kickass as far as im concerned.

And once you get them installed and tucked and clearanced, you can then decide if you want to extend it out the back.

good luck yo

DJ
If you heard my car you would see a reason to change
Old 11-05-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

I will surely drive it and see what I think of it (and the neighbors) before making any further decisions. It won't have cats though so i'm anticipating some noise.

I noticed the duals already run up to the rear axle though...so in order to put a couple sweet thunders on there (if it was indeed to loud) they could be mounted after the axle, parallel, GMMG style before going out to some nice tips.

I guess we'll see how it turns out
Old 11-05-2005, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

I just modified my exhaust to run out the back. I had flanges installed before the axle so I can unbolt them to lift the car, or if I want to be obnoxious again. Seriously, the sound is amazing, but after a while, it gets really loud. My interior was rattling pretty good. After running out the back, it still sounds really good (minus a little thunder ). It is so much nicer inside the car now. I can hear the radio, I can talk to my passenger in a normal voice, and when I floor it, she still screams like a banshee. The tone changed a little, there is more rappiness to the exhaust at WOT, but at normal cruising and driving, still very deep and thunderous. You just don't feel it in your teeth anymore. I will post pics next week when I get the tips welded on. I went mandrel bent up to the axle, then crush bent behind that. ( Couldn't afford mandrel all the way) At the track, I will unbolt the crush bent part (4 bolts) and run dumped at the track. Very pleased with my choice and cost me a total of $323.00 with tax. I already had the mufflers and H-pipe. Great clearance, great sound, quiet inside! What more could I want.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

I have a TD set up similar to the TSP Duals......But the only thing different in mine, is that the bullet mufflers are like 36inches long.... They are monsters, BUT, they make the exhaust note deep, and very throaty.....louder than stock, and it get's attention. When I go WOT man it is music to the ears....
I have attached a pic of the install, but not finished product, you can see how big my bullets are compared to TSP's....

Also forgot to tell ya that the exhaust dumps just before the axle.....
Attached Thumbnails TSP Duals on the way...-x-pipe-fitment2.jpg  
Old 11-05-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

A little insulation under the factory carpet goes a long ways. I installed Frost King insulation where there is no factory stuff from behind the rear seats back. Turned a head ache waiting to happen on the highway to a withstandable level. When I decide to get serious the whole car will get dynamat.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cstick
A little insulation under the factory carpet goes a long ways. I installed Frost King insulation where there is no factory stuff from behind the rear seats back. Turned a head ache waiting to happen on the highway to a withstandable level. When I decide to get serious the whole car will get dynamat.
Isn't there some stuff like this that audio guys use to dampen the road noise?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cstick
When I decide to get serious the whole car will get dynamat.
Just did mine, have fun. It's alot of work.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I just modified my exhaust to run out the back. I had flanges installed before the axle so I can unbolt them to lift the car, or if I want to be obnoxious again. Seriously, the sound is amazing, but after a while, it gets really loud. My interior was rattling pretty good. After running out the back, it still sounds really good (minus a little thunder ). It is so much nicer inside the car now. I can hear the radio, I can talk to my passenger in a normal voice, and when I floor it, she still screams like a banshee. The tone changed a little, there is more rappiness to the exhaust at WOT, but at normal cruising and driving, still very deep and thunderous. You just don't feel it in your teeth anymore. I will post pics next week when I get the tips welded on. I went mandrel bent up to the axle, then crush bent behind that. ( Couldn't afford mandrel all the way) At the track, I will unbolt the crush bent part (4 bolts) and run dumped at the track. Very pleased with my choice and cost me a total of $323.00 with tax. I already had the mufflers and H-pipe. Great clearance, great sound, quiet inside! What more could I want.
Did you order the pipes to extend it out the back from somwhere already bent and cut, or did you fab your own?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Which way should the pipes be aimed for the least amount of interior noise?

Some people say inward, some say outward...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

outward.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Which way should the pipes be aimed for the least amount of interior noise?

Some people say inward, some say outward...

I turned mine inward, I dont have any drone at all....and I can still talk to my passenger at a regular volume.....Only when I am getting on the loud pedal do I need to raise my voice, but when it comes to the, my attention is on the road, not passenger......
Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
I turned mine inward, I dont have any drone at all....and I can still talk to my passenger at a regular volume.....Only when I am getting on the loud pedal do I need to raise my voice, but when it comes to the, my attention is on the road, not passenger......
Contrary to 00TAProject's advice I turned mine outward at roughly 45deg toward the wheels. (Sorry man, I just thought it looked cooler )
I think there would have to be some serious empirical data taken with quality recording equipment on multiple systems to get a definate answer on this one.
What it comes down to is that its been agreed that turning them in our out lessens it more than if you just leave them straight down.
Take that FWIW.

p.s. I just spend about an hour in my 2000 SS, with newly installed TSP TD and Bullets turned at 45 deg out and I have no problem with the volume, matter of fact, I almost want it louder!! There will be vibration and resonance in the cab, thats to be expected, but the level of the above is prob going to involve many more variables than just the direction of the turndowns. Just my .02

DJ