Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Mods...Do they help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Mods...Do they help?

Are free mods like the free ram air or the tb bypass really help with gains and are the gains worth the work? Lemme know...
Old 11-06-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

....you get what you pay for?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most do them because they fall under the category of 'every little bit helps'. Then others say 'you get what you pay for'. So do them if you want, I don't think many have shown proven gains, especially not like the gains you get from 'real' mods like a lid for example.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes they will help some but as mentioned above nothing like a real mod would do. But, it does gives you a reason to work on the car.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

if you are not used to being around your car do them because it gets you oriented with the engine. as for performance not much if any. any time to get away and work on the car is good enough for me.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
if you are not used to being around your car do them because it gets you oriented with the engine. as for performance not much if any. any time to get away and work on the car is good enough for me.
Exactly my theory - people do them because they like to work on their cars. Others consider them a waste of time. The TB bypass fits that category, IMO. I was going to do the FRA but decided against it because of dirty air filters, sucking up water, etc., even though there might be a little something there.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't expect large gains, but every little bit adds up.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of all of them I think that the FRA mod is the most effective.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Exactly my theory - people do them because they like to work on their cars. Others consider them a waste of time. The TB bypass fits that category, IMO. I was going to do the FRA but decided against it because of dirty air filters, sucking up water, etc., even though there might be a little something there.

i did the FRA when i lived over there in Wichita, and low and behold water got up there and blew my engine and hydrolocked my tranny (damn lifted 4x4's makin wakes) but i dont really regret it. i mean it sucked *** but it actually fell under the natural disaster clause on my insurance, so they paid for it less $1k. but like i said im glad i did it cause im poor...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Launching!

this is rediculous.

any modification, be it free or with alot of cash, is worth the effort/cash if there is a corresponding gain. unfortunately small gains cannot be statistically or experimentally verified. i assure you that if someone built their own intake or headers, or they devised some other way that fulfilled one to the tenets of performance, much like the "free mods" do, and accomplished this without a trip to the parts store or a substantial outlay of cash, they would get a corresponding power gain. never think that a mass-marketed product that is a compromise will give you as much performance as a custom, well thought-out plan for performance.

i am much more fearful of the fella that has that sly gleam in his eye, and knows what to do to get the most out of his car, than some rich dipsmuck that pops outta his car with that little grin on his face.

happy modding.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think they're worth doing. Like mentioned above, it helps you get oriented with the car, and even if all together they added a total of 4hp to the car, it was free, so why not? I mean, the $50 K&N we use with our lids was only shown to gain like 2hp. Besides, with mods like the TB bypass, it makes taking the tb off a snap, with no mess.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Here's the way I see it.
When many of us bought our cars, there was virtually nothing out there for performance parts.
Hotrodders being who they are, are always looking for some way to improve performance, knowing that the General usually designs something less than optimum, so we want to change it. Or experiment. Or just tinker because we love it.
Eventually there were some expensive headers, and after a while more and more stuff became available.
I think the best "almost free" mod I ever did was P&P/epoxy my TB. Huge gains? No, but decent enough and it gave me something to do and be proud of 3 years ago.
In my sig I say FRA is "dumbest" mod b/c I drive long distances and get tired of cleaning filters.