Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler help...

Okay my dilema is we were running an open cutout on stock manifolds and the car sounded bad *** (to the wife and I at least). Now we have Longtubes and off road y-pipe the car is just fooking loud with the cutout open, but with the stock CME muffler it is quiet as a kitten.

So here is the quandry, what muffler could we replace the stock SLP CME muffler with to make it sound badass again?

The cutout is cool, but damn the whole apartment complex vibrates when the car starts/idles while small children and animals cower in fear!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend thats runing a new loudmouth catback (w/ cats) and that thing is quiet at idle, but is insanity at WOT.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

I have read about drone with the LM, but if it is comparable to running an open cutout with stock manifolds it is something we would consider! We like it loud, but insanity is running a open cutout on these LT with ORY...

Anyone have an idea about Magnflow mufflers? I was just browsing Summit and saw some that looked (meaning visually) nice and shiny, but have no idea how they sound...

BTW I have been over to LS1sounds.com, but over their the SLP DD (same as the CME) muffler sounded good with LT/ORY, but when I capped the cutout to listen for myself it was very dissappointing...

Last edited by Azrael; 11-07-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

A Manapack would sound pretty good. Another selection to consider would be a bullet. A bullet would be a little cheaper than a Magnapack.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOOKER AEROCHAMBER!!!!!
Thats what I'm runnin & its quiet at idle & sounds great under acceleration. It is also supposed to have a great rumble sound with ORY & LT's. I'm gettin ready to put my ORY on & find out first hand. Plus its only $80 almost everywhere. I love the sound & it flows great. Go to www.ls1sounds.com & listen to any combo you want. Plus I haven't had any drone or rasp.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

I just swapped out the SLP D/D muffler with the Magnaflow. I have cats, but it sounds pretty good. Cold startup sounds a little shitty, but after a minute or two it mellows out rather nice. Mysteriously the rumble/drone whatever it was that I used to have with the windows up is now gone. And WOT sounds quite nice, but not obnoxious.

I had looked at the Hooker, but I chose the Magnaflow since it's 304 stainless.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

I expect to get louder within the next couple of weeks also, as we have a new Cam to go in (MTI X1)... Just waiting on a few gaskets.

I really like the idea of the Magnaflow, and on LS1sounds they sound alright, but shoot the problem I have with that is the SLP D/D sounded alright too and I know different first hand...

BTW thank you all for your input!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRider81
A Manapack would sound pretty good. Another selection to consider would be a bullet. A bullet would be a little cheaper than a Magnapack.
I have a neighbor down the road that has LTs ORY and a Dynomax 12" Bullet...It sounds awesome...loud but good.Price is pretty good as well..under $40 from JEGS...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

I know what you mean. I heard the D/D on ls1sounds and it seemed loud to the untrained ear. There was one clip that had a D/D muffler that opened up a cutout halfway through the clip. That really added the perspective as to what the camera microphones were doing to the sound. Since I already had the D/D I knew it wasn't that loud.