Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on these two setups for my LS2 402

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Opinions on these two setups for my LS2 402

I have a T/A, so I want tailpipes. It's lowered about 1.75" and setup for road racing, so ground clearance is a concern on the street. I will have a 530rwhp ish LS2 402 in soon enough, and I need to keep an exhaust on when I'm racing (and on the street), so cut-outs are not really what I'm after, but I don't want to choke out 20-30rwhp because of a horrid cat-back exhaust.

So, I know I'll have to go with a Y-Pipe for ground clearance, but which of these combos would make the best power? Also, I know the Kooks will tuck better, but am I giving up power vs the QTP combo below? If I'm going to give up ground clearance for the QTP ORY, I would like to run a 3.5 or 4" Mufflex exhaust to not choke out the 402. Therefore, I think I can overlook an inch less ground clearance if it's good for 15rwhp. Unless, something like a Magnaflow exhaust will outflow either GMMG or Mufflex.

Which one would you choose?

Option 1: Kooks 1-7/8" Headers, Kooks 3" ORY, GMMG Exhaust with Oval Tips

Option 2: QTP 1-7/8" HVMC Headers, QTP 4" ORY, Mufflex 4" Exhaust with Spintech Muffler

Option 3: Either one of the above, but with Magnaflow. Reason for Kooks over QTP (ground clearance, negligible power difference, price? and yes, I know I said two options, but this is really a half an option)

I could see myself going with either one and being happy, but what do you guys think?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get whichever headers you can get the best deal on. 1 7/8 Kooks would be my choice. Then have a custom y-pipe made that merges into either the Mufflex 3.5, the stainlessworks 3.5 or the mufflex 4 inch exhaust.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know this isnt one of your options, but i wouldnt rule out true duals cause of clearance issues. if done correctly you can have just as much clearance as a y-pipe setup.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I've ruled out duals simply because I'm going to order a tunnel mounted torque arm.

That's why I'm torn on this decision. True duals would be the obvious answer, but ugh.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah that does limit you. is the alston torque arm still available? i believe that will work with true duals, but not sure on clearance
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I would go with whichever header (the QTPs look cooler with the NASCAR collector, but power gains are minimal at best), a custom y pipe (I'm close enough to Mufflex to have them make me one) with the best merge possible and best clearances, into a Mufflex 4" (3.5" would be a possibility, but they don't offer it in stainless) system with either a Magnaflow, or preferably an XR1 (if you can handle the noise) and dual outlets with big rectangular (or oval) tips. All of the above preferably in 304 stainless, of course.