Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to install Headers?

I need help installing some headers. This is going to be the first time I try this. Is there a website or something that shows you the steps to removing exhaust manifolds and installing headers? I just bought some Hooker LTs. I will try the install this monday, my day off. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced guys. The car is a 2002 Z28.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html

That is a guide that should get you there. There will be some things you may or may not do. Basically you have to remove the old exhaust. Put the car up in the air either by lift or big jack stands. Then slide the headers in from the bottom.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have no idea how that link is going to help me. I know how headers look, I just dont know all the steps on how to install them. Thanks anyways man.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I'm dead serious when I say, if you don't have access to a lift, get a good jack, and good jackstands. By a good jack, I do not mean a $20 jack, I mean one that will make you grunt when you pick it up. (or rent one!)
I bought a decent floorjack at Advance Auto several months ago for under $90, and two 6 ton jackstands for probably under $30. You need to get that baby up in the air a ways.
I drove mine up on Rhino ramps and proceeded to jack it up from there maybe another 6" or so.
All the rest is wrenching.
I reccomend either reusing the stock header gaskets if you're low mileage, or buying a new set of stock MLS gaskets from the dealer.
IF you have a tap to match the threads in the heads to clean them out, can't hurt, as the factory uses a thread sealant. Or every factory bolt may thread back in smooth as butter.
The biggest challenge for me was removing the cats from the factory manifolds. I did my install on a high mileage car and the studs on the manifold/cats flange were absolute ****. I eventually used my die grinder to cut 2 of them off.
Not trying to make this sound hard, it's not really, just be prepared and patient if you hit any snags. And don't pay any attention to all the folks that installed theirs the first time in "2 hours", LOL. Just get it right, and plan on more than one day, just in case.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by thelastz28
I have no idea how that link is going to help me. I know how headers look, I just dont know all the steps on how to install them. Thanks anyways man.
I couldn't access that link.
The thing to do is be methodical: remove the Y pipe from the I pipe, remove the cats, unbolt the AIR tubes and EGR from the factory manifolds, remove the factory exhaust manifolds (taking your coil packs off or at least removing all but the back bolt and moving them up out of the way will help access a lot), then get a helper to hold a header up in place while you bolt it up, snug all the bolts up and tighten from the middle out a little at a time.
Reinstall the plugs if you took them out, reinstall the AIR and EGR.
If this is all sounding over your head, you might want to have someone else do it. If you have basic mechanical skills, though, you can do this.
The install on my Z was the first header install in 20 years or more, and the first in such a cramped area. (yeah, I'm old).
Luck,
gwj
Old 11-11-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thelastz28
If you go to the other pages in that link it would give you a step by step. Hit NEXT at the bottom of the page once you are done reading.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Get a set of flex head gear wrenches (for the header bolts). I did poly motor mounts when I did the header install (makes it easier to do - when the exhaust is off). Get the car as high as you safely can. Besides that it is very straight forward.