Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!

Well, other than the **** service which was posted in sponsor feedback and still didnt get cleared up...

I began installation of the Kooks today. Car on the lift, removed old Jet Hots, and True Duals, about 45min. Had to remove the starter, and oil filter, oil adapter thing above the filter, steering linkage.

Began install, pass side, slipped right in. The #8 bolt hole was not quite right, and verified by holding to a gasket...but it fits now Oh yeah, the pass side header has 1/8" clearance from the stock K Member, and not just the seam most ppl grind down either, the top rounded portion.

Driver side, HA HA HA HA! What a true PITA! Had to remove the entire motor mount pedestal with mount, jack the engine over towards the pass side as far as possible, and then it went in. Bolt holes lined up good though. Driver side collector once bolted down, rested on the floorpan, looks to be a bracing bar, so the BFH fixed that.

The Drivers Y pipe slipped on no problem, except the entire thing was rubbing the underside of the car! Great, more BFH and no more rubbing. The pass side Y pipe had to go to Midas to be expanded slightly, guess it wasnt checked prior to shipping, kind of like getting one header with an A.I.R. fitting and one race (ordered both race). Luckily Midas didnt charge for the 2min of expanding. And yep, wouldnt you know it, the ******* thing was rubbing the underside. By this time it was clean up at the shop, so it will be finished tomorrow. I will be capping off the Y pipe with a Magnaflow SS Bullet, one each, at least until the Corsa comes in.

In afterthought, check all slip fits before the day of assembly, and prepare for the headache of clearancing the floor for the larger tubes. Gosh I love this ****!

Charlie

Many thanks go out to my brothers, Andrew, Larry and Daniel!

***EDIT*** Added a couple pics, sorry its night time again, as I have been working all day.
Kooks y 1 and 2 you can see the angle of the I Pipe extension as it comes off the Y, as well as some of the floorpan that met the BFH on the drivers side to clear the Y pipe.
In the Rt side kooks, I was trying to get a close up of the primary tubes as they are welded onto the flange. Each of the flanges have small spots of soot around the welds, and #7 has soot on the underside weld area. Last time I checked, soot was a sign of a leak, what you know? Also, the primary tube shot shows the doubled gasket.
Attached Thumbnails Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!-kooks-y-1.jpg   Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!-kooks-y-2.jpg   Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!-rt-side-kooks.jpg  

Last edited by CAT3; 11-15-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

hey man, i had the same experience with my kooks. remove motor mount, steering linkage, oil filter, etc. i had a friend force the driver side header into the opening to get it bolt up. same problem with the y-pipe. i've got the 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers. maybe their made a little different from the 1 3/4 header. and i had a hard time getting the #8 plug snug down! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for all your troubles man, glad you got them in...Makes me love my pacesetters even more!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

So, what was all the hype about Kooks being easy to install and being the best.

So, not only does the customer service suck, the product suck too
Old 11-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by silver02Z
Sorry for all your troubles man, glad you got them in...Makes me love my pacesetters even more!

If only pacesetters made a 1 7/8" header all would be beautiful, or if I werent needing to step it up and the 1 3/4" would have done....damn power mongers.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Drew778
So, what was all the hype about Kooks being easy to install and being the best.

So, not only does the customer service suck, the product suck too

Havent got to test the product out yet. If I didnt know any better, I would swear these headers sat at the Kooks shop as a defective set, and Kooks seen the opportunity to send them "over seas" knowing its a down right pain the *** to return! Bastards. I'm taking some pics tomorrow, and will post them up, as I know some ******* will come on here and ask some stupid question like, did you angle the Y Pipe right, or something....
Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAT3
Havent got to test the product out yet. If I didnt know any better, I would swear these headers sat at the Kooks shop as a defective set, and Kooks seen the opportunity to send them "over seas" knowing its a down right pain the *** to return! Bastards. I'm taking some pics tomorrow, and will post them up, as I know some ******* will come on here and ask some stupid question like, did you angle the Y Pipe right, or something....
i live 3 towns away from kooks and i had the same problem you had. i did right an e-mail some months ago with no return.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:08 AM

I have installed 3 sets of Kooks on f-bodies and had no problems at all.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I have installed 3 sets of Kooks on f-bodies and had no problems at all.

So you did not have to pull the anything on the drivers side and you had no clearance problems?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the 1&7/8" are a tighter fit than the 1&3/4"....
Old 11-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Perhaps the 1&7/8" are a tighter fit than the 1&3/4"....
Something about the primaries being larger or something but yeah, they might fit different, and a thicker flange (compared to some other makes).
Old 11-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Just did a set on an '02 z06. Much bigger headache than you can imagine. I wont reccomend kooks 1-7/8 over qtp ever!

Nate
Old 11-13-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drew778
So you did not have to pull the anything on the drivers side and you had no clearance problems?
Slide right in.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:50 PM

Kooks CS SUCKS!
Old 11-13-2005, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a car Im installing these on now, and there is no way the drivers side header is going in easy. The Hookers fell right out. Im NOT looking foward to finishing this install, and they are 1 3/4 to boot!

Passenger header holes lined up fine, and slid right in.

Someone else share your drivers side installation
Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM

I had to jack the whole motor up and push it forward as far as I could and still fought like hell.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I had to jack the whole motor up and push it forward as far as I could and still fought like hell.
Ditto.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Did you guys notice a big gain?

Now I'm having second thoughts on swaping my 1&3/4 Jet Hots for the 1&7/8 Kooks
Old 11-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Restricted User

Drivers side is easy....IF you take the steering arm off, remove the entire drivers side motor mount and pedestal, the oil filter, and oil fitting right above it, jack the engine up on the drivers side far enough that it literally pulls the poswer steering pump return line off....thats what I call "slide right on in"

Now, for the Y Pipe review:

I stand behind my belief that this particular Y pipe was made by a beginner or the jog was fucked up. Who in the hell has a Y pipe with the passenger side lower then the drivers side? No ******* one, thats who! Ok, lets see what all had to be done. I had to cut the drivers portion of the Y Pipe about 2.5" to get into the Pass side without forcing the pipes apart etc. Now, after getting them together, I had to beat the floor pan in some more on the drivers side to keep the squashed part of the Y from hitting it. The pass side, what a ******* laugh...had to imagine but the pipe comes out of the header, and bends DOWN, a little too much, then the pipe that crosses over for the drivers side to slide into, is too ******* high and no way I can see to bring it down any...finally the I pipe lead is aimed down, instead of following the body tunnel as it should. Since I dont have the stock trans mounted hanger Larry made one for me from a bar of aluminum, and we clamped it to the I Pipe to Y pipe clamp, which is the only reason the ******* Y Pipe is not rubbing the ******* Torque Arm.

In short, without beating the hell out of the floor pan, and cutting the **** out of the Y pipe, and fabbing up a hanger, it would have multiple points to rub, bang and smack! What a huge pain in the *** piece of ****.

I will try and get pics tomorrow, not only post them up, but email them to Kooks to see if this is their idea of tight fit. Maybe I am a little more irritated at all this than I should be, but **** I never thought hooking up a set of headers and Y pipe from supposedly one of the best places would be such a damn hassle.

For now, I have a magnaflow 3" race bullet on, and holy **** is it a race car sound! Too bad I will be getting fined from my housing area until the Corsa gets in!

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldnt go with the Kooks period

Charlie
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Louis
Ive got a car Im installing these on now, and there is no way the drivers side header is going in easy. The Hookers fell right out. Im NOT looking foward to finishing this install, and they are 1 3/4 to boot!

Passenger header holes lined up fine, and slid right in.

Someone else share your drivers side installation
Time for some LG F-body Long Tubes