Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brainstorming for my true dual system...anyone's thoughts appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brainstorming for my true dual system...anyone's thoughts appreciated

Well being that Lane doesn't do over the axle dual systems anymore, I figured I have a couple choices now. It seems that the best solution is to take it to a local shop and have them fab something up...it's going to be pricey for what I want though. I've been quoted anywhere from $800 to $1200, depending on if I provide any parts or not. My friend has a mandrel bender, so ordering my own piping and trying to do this myself is a thought; however, I have absolutley no experience with bending pipes or fabricating an exhaust.

Here's the goal: I want a 3" true dual system with cats (Random Technology, unless someone suggests better), Sweet Thunder mufflers, that runs over the axle and exits out the back.

Basically, I want this:

Here's the considerations:

-I know 3" is too large for a stock or bolt-on motor, which is basically what I have now (stock). However, i'm going with a H/C setup in the near future, and the tenative long term goal is to go Procharged. I'd much rathgher deal with a small loss in low-end torque while my car is still just in the bolt-on stage than go with smaller diamater tubing and then have to shell out again for a larger system if it turns out the exhaust is restricting power. Basically, i'd rather grow into it than grow out of it.

-I want to lower the car, probably no more than 1.5" all the way around (Eibach pro-kit look). And I definitely know clearance is gonna be an issue. To help, I'm going to do is order a BMR panhard relocation kit to clear some room, as well as the fuel line flip. But I still don't know if that'll give me the clearance I need, so if anyone lowered with duals could chime in, i'd appreciate it.

-Another clearance issue would be under the car. What if I were to cross the piping after the axle and mount the mufflers in the stock area, similar to the below pic? Since the mufflers wouldn't be under the car, i'm sure it would help clearance, but i'm not sure how much more difficult it is to make that system, or what effect the placement of the mufflers might have on sound. Also, i'm aware that there are two sets of mufflers in this pic...I would only install the set that are aft of the axle.

If I decide to go with having a shop do the work, i'll be providing the cats, mufflers, and tips. Here's where the train of though gets a bit more random. Being that all my quotes are for alumnized piping, I'm thinking another good idea would be to go ahead and provide a Dr. Gas x-pipe as well. Lane spoke very highly of their x-pipes, so I wonder how well a shop's custom x would compare to the Dr. Gas unit. The other thought is, that since my LTs, mufflers, cats, and tips are all going to be stainless, why not fabricate an entire stainless exhaust? Obviously the main factor there is price, but what about if I were to purchase lengths of stainless steel piping from somewhere (Stainless Works?), take it to the shop, and have them mandrel bend it and fab it from there? Would the cost still be significantly higher, and thus, not worth it?

Again, these are just all thoughts and considerations I have for my upcoming exhaust system, and I'm sure this thread could help out many others with similar questions. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

-Chris
Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I had a friend with a mandrel bender!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lane
I wish I had a friend with a mandrel bender!
Lol, unfortunately, like I said, I have zero experience with exhausts, so I don't think i'd be comfortable trying to make my own from scratch. I wish you still had a shop.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:04 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lane? You not still in NRH? I would sell you the 2.5's off of my true dual setup from the mufflers back. It is flanged from a little bit before the axles and in cludes tips and all. looks almost identical to that top picture. That way you would have it out the back I like it better dumped anyway. I will post up a pic later when I have my laptop with me if you want to see them.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

I'm still in NRH. I sold my shop/equipment though.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Ok my thoughts. I had a friend who did a similar setup and its the best setup ive seen. 3in duals over each side of the axle similar to the pic you posted. He used Hooker LTs DR Gas X Pipe and Bullets. He did also have to get the panhard relocator to let everything clear. His car was lowered when he first tried to do it and it would hit so we put the factory springs back on it. So I don't know if your going to be able to lower it and have it the way you want. One of those things where you gotta choose one or the other.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Restricted User

Depending on how much boost you will want to run, it might be just as nice to go 2.5" piping. I had ran 2.5 all the way back, mine went under axle, but still... with H/C and nitrous I dont think I maxxed out the flow until the shot size went way up. You could always get the Bassani TD system or is that not even a consideration? If I had access to a Mnadrel, I would teach myself how to bend like a pro!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
Depending on how much boost you will want to run, it might be just as nice to go 2.5" piping. I had ran 2.5 all the way back, mine went under axle, but still... with H/C and nitrous I dont think I maxxed out the flow until the shot size went way up. You could always get the Bassani TD system or is that not even a consideration? If I had access to a Mnadrel, I would teach myself how to bend like a pro!
I've considered it; at first I thought it was too pricey, but seeing as the cost of my custom duals is going to meet or exceed the cost of the Bassani system, that's kind of a mute point. I think the Bassani system is too quiet for my tastes, and although I know that could be cured by replacing the mufflers, I'd also have to alter it to work with LTs, since they're made to mate up to stock manifolds. So with that work, pricing would be pretty similar, so I'd rather just go with a custom setup.

I'm seriously thinking about trying my hand at bending the exhaust, but the other thing I have to consider is that I have no idea where or how to make hangars, and my welding skills aren't exactly up to par, especially if I go the stainless route (although I have a friend that can weld well).
Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I paid $150 for duals dumped. No way I'd pay $800+ to go out the back. Especially if I had one friend with a manderal bender and one friend that can weld good.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

BASSANI DUALS
nice and easy. Meeting them up to the LTs doesnt look hard.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Restricted User

One nice thing about the Bassani Duals, you will be able to run pretty much any Torque Arm you want. With True Duals you many not, hell you wont if you go with an X Pipe setup. With an X your limited to facotry style, or Alston, no spohn or madman for you!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
One nice thing about the Bassani Duals, you will be able to run pretty much any Torque Arm you want. With True Duals you many not, hell you wont if you go with an X Pipe setup. With an X your limited to facotry style, or Alston, no spohn or madman for you!
Couldn't that problem be solved by just using an H-pipe instead? From what I understand, you can tuck up H-pipe systems farther up than an X anyway...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

not really hard to hook to headers. i did it on the wife's car. here's some recent sound clips after i put the vinci 062 cam in it. car has bassani headers, cats and tru-duals.

rev in park

idle in park

idle in drive
Old 11-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

When I inherit money, I plan to buy another OEM catback, tie it in with my own little H-pipe, and run it right alongside the stock exhaust that's on the car now. And then into a homebuilt GMMG-type setup with either 3" bullets or 3" glasspacks. I've looked long and hard at the bottom of the car and can't see anywhere it'd hurt ground clearance or have trouble fitting.

But then, I don't have a friend with a mandrel bender, either.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

I'm still in NRH. I sold my shop/equipment though.

wow i did not know you stopped all together doing duals that sucks. im glad i have a set of you over the axles on my car when i did then they are excelent
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
Ok my thoughts. I had a friend who did a similar setup and its the best setup ive seen. 3in duals over each side of the axle similar to the pic you posted. He used Hooker LTs DR Gas X Pipe and Bullets. He did also have to get the panhard relocator to let everything clear. His car was lowered when he first tried to do it and it would hit so we put the factory springs back on it. So I don't know if your going to be able to lower it and have it the way you want. One of those things where you gotta choose one or the other.
By the way, do you have any pics of your friend's setup? Do you know if he did anything to the driver side over the axle tubing in terms of heat containment? I noticed that the pipe is wrapped in the first picture to prevent (i'm guessing) damaging the weather pack connectors or wires that exit out of the rear floorboard area, just wondering if your friend did anything similar.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ta_silver_bullet
wow i did not know you stopped all together doing duals that sucks. im glad i have a set of you over the axles on my car when i did then they are excelent
I still build dumped systems.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

I still build dumped systems.
ahh i see that is good to know though
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

well since your running sweet thunder's, you won't have a problem tucking them up, I would think about the H pipe also, you can tuck that up a little better then the X and a good exhaust shop knows how to tuck the pipes also, plus the H would sound a lot better IMO with the sweet thunder's. I believe when I talked to Lane a while back, he said that a 2.5 X pipe system would support almost 500 ponies before I became restrictive. You also also run a dr. gas X with 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet for added clearance. Also, I wouldn't run anything other then a dr gas X pipe, can't beat the quality, you get what you pay for, and no other shop can match their X IMO...
Old 12-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
well since your running sweet thunder's, you won't have a problem tucking them up, I would think about the H pipe also, you can tuck that up a little better then the X and a good exhaust shop knows how to tuck the pipes also, plus the H would sound a lot better IMO with the sweet thunder's. I believe when I talked to Lane a while back, he said that a 2.5 X pipe system would support almost 500 ponies before I became restrictive. You also also run a dr. gas X with 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet for added clearance. Also, I wouldn't run anything other then a dr gas X pipe, can't beat the quality, you get what you pay for, and no other shop can match their X IMO...
I'm thinking I may go with an H-pipe after all, because I do want to go lower and run an aftermarket torque arm. The main issue i'm having now is see if it's possible to run 3" duals while being lowered about 1.5".