Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions

Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I'm in the process of buying headers and a y-pipe, i decided on going with Pacesetter headers and TSP y-pipe, but my question is about the AIR, EGR, and 02 sensors. Should I delete both the AIR and EGR? I have no clue what to do abut the 02 sensors, do i get extensions? do i delete them? and how do i delete them if yes? Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

i am in the same situation as you are, about to buy headers and probably going with pacesetters, after researching alot ive found that if you get their "race" headers, you will have to remove your EGR and AIR, and you have to delete your rear o2 sensors... as for the front o2's, i believe they make o2 extensions for the fronts. after installing your headers you will have codes thrown from these components you have removed, none of which will affect performance. in order to delete these codes you need to have somebody hook up your ecu with a tuning device and delete these codes so you can pass emissions.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Banned

on a side note, i do believe pacesetter sells an emission savvy header that comes with the EGR and AIR hookups.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you buy LT's then you need to extend the front 02 sensors and delete the rears altogether. If you chose to go with LT's be prepared to get a tune; it is mandatory .for any real performance gain. As far as AIR and EGR...really depends on if your trying to stay "legal" or not.

Im not sure where you are but here in CA, even LT's are illegal, so when i did it, i went all the way by deleting AIR and running !cats. As far as EGR goes, I'd delete it if I were you, same goes for AIR: If you choose to go with LT's.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

how do you delete the rear o2 sensors?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats gonna be part of the tune, or you could run o2 sims
Old 11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

ya, but ive heard things about the o2 simms, about them not working, and what not... i would recommend just getting it tuned. just a basic tune shouldnt cost that much, a local guy here is going to do mine for 75$ that consists of deleted codes, deleted o2's, adjusting thermostat and a few other small things.

hey ws6 kid, do you know if there is a difference in "race" long tubes, and "emission" long tubes, i know they both arent "legal" but im thinking of just getting the emissions headers so i dont have to rip out my EGR and AIR, but is there a loss in performance between the race and emissions headers?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBMgreg
ya, but ive heard things about the o2 simms, about them not working, and what not... i would recommend just getting it tuned. just a basic tune shouldnt cost that much, a local guy here is going to do mine for 75$ that consists of deleted codes, deleted o2's, adjusting thermostat and a few other small things.

hey ws6 kid, do you know if there is a difference in "race" long tubes, and "emission" long tubes, i know they both arent "legal" but im thinking of just getting the emissions headers so i dont have to rip out my EGR and AIR, but is there a loss in performance between the race and emissions headers?
I dont think the diff. in performance is really an issue...its mainly whether or not you want to keep emissions hardware. AIR is mainly for the cats so if you arent gonna run cats there's no reason to keep AIR. I would just lose EGR period; i mean if your gonna be doing LTs why not go all the way?

Not to mention the engine bay looks soo much nicer without those two
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

well i was intending on keeping these systems just to keep the emissions people out of my hair, i already have to worry about them not finding my cats, let alone my EGR and AIR, and plus im trying to stay away from getting fined out my ***, you know? after researching alittle, i think i just might remove my AIR but keep my EGR
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBMgreg
well i was intending on keeping these systems just to keep the emissions people out of my hair, i already have to worry about them not finding my cats, let alone my EGR and AIR, and plus im trying to stay away from getting fined out my ***, you know? after researching alittle, i think i just might remove my AIR but keep my EGR
I think the !cats is gonna be your biggest prob with emission folks. The smeel and the sound are gonna be much more noticeable than an emission system that they wont even recognize is not there by looking. If it were me; id go all the way legal, or all the way illegal.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

do you have emissons where your at? did they look under your car? cuz i think for the visual i might just wrap some cat shells around my pipe or something similar, just to make it look like i have something there. and about the EGR and AIR, everybody says remove them, it will be worth it in the end... man i hate making decissions!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are emissions where im at so i just got a smog right before i changed anything; that way im good for at least two years. Where i am, there's a sniffer and a visual so the faux cats wouldnt work for me, but it may be worth a try. I figured it might possibly save me if a cop were to look under my car, but after hearing my car and smelling it, it might not even be worth it.

Id say forget AIR and EGR both. If you want to stay somewhat legal, get a catted Y pipe. Personally, I would recommend that you ditch all emissions sytems, get an ORY, and have a badass sounding beast that can make small children dizzy from the fumes
Old 11-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

ok if i delete my 02 sensors, do i cut them off or tape them up or what?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, when i did my LT install I had the mailorder tune ready to put in for after i was done, this way it wouldnt throw any codes. I then just unplugged the sensors which were junk, threw them away, and left them that way, im not sure how everyone else is doing it though.

Oh and dont forget about doing something to extend the front o2s. Some LT's come with o2 extension kits included; although i wouldnt really recommend using them.

What i would recommnend is going ahead and killing two birds with one stone; by replacing your old o2's with the rears from a vette of the same year you: 1) replace o2 sensors which are likely to be worn anyway, thereby eliminating another possible problem during install/ tuning, and 2) solve the issue of extending the front o2's because the rear from the vette are already the correct length, and you dont have to use the extension kits or the "ghetto splice"
Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

ok, my question now, is whether to buy the race headers that have no EGR, AIR, or rear 02 sensors. Emissions and all that **** is no question, police here dont even bother doing checks, i've heard that if u get headers with EGR, and AIR, that where the AIR hookups are, the weld will fail and then u have a big hole in ur header, so im askin ur opinion on which u feel i should get, and remember, emissions is no problem and i dont care if i have EGR or AIR, thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you arent worried about emissions i'd say gor for the race version all the way! There's really no reason not to

Search this Thread