Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which one do you like the most with LTs, ORY

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which one do you like the most with LTs, ORY

hi

I ll have installed LTs and ORY,sims, this december
currently I have GMMG on my stock TA
I changed my mind quit a bit already with mufflers and have in the garage a stock muffler, hooker and flowmaster.
I m going to have the guys do a custom built so I can change each muffler depending ,sound wanted
the guy told me it would be easy , just a little bit of pipping and clamps
he ll take care of it..
my question is what do you guys prefer on LTs,ORY
GMMG
Flowmaster
Hooker
stock

why do I want to do this??
well , after car shows, hangout with other ls1 guys , I really like the sound of LTs, ORY , how it screams when you punch it. my GMMG sounds good right now but I now the car will like LTs....

let me know what you think >

thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people are verry happy with LT's and the gmmg. I love my hooker CB sound/flow. The flowmaster will loose you some power vs the gmmg & hooker.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cedric85745
hi

I ll have installed LTs and ORY,sims, this december
currently I have GMMG on my stock TA
I changed my mind quit a bit already with mufflers and have in the garage a stock muffler, hooker and flowmaster.
I m going to have the guys do a custom built so I can change each muffler depending ,sound wanted
the guy told me it would be easy , just a little bit of pipping and clamps
he ll take care of it..
my question is what do you guys prefer on LTs,ORY
GMMG
Flowmaster
Hooker
stock

why do I want to do this??
well , after car shows, hangout with other ls1 guys , I really like the sound of LTs, ORY , how it screams when you punch it. my GMMG sounds good right now but I now the car will like LTs....

let me know what you think >

thanks
You're going to hack up the GMMG to clamp in the other mufflers???

That isn't going to be easy considering the Hooker, Flowmaster and stock muffler are single inlet and two out lets. The GMMG uses a Y piece then has two mufflers.

As for sound? Well the GMMG will be pretty loud, but if you get a catted Y it will solve that problem, and if you pick you're cats well they won't cost you any BHP loss either.

The stock muffler hinders stock output, the flowmaster is a little better but it's still restrictive on a stock engine. The Hooker is good for about 375bhp before it becomes restrictive. I'm certain the GMMG is the best flowing of all. And personally I would say the best sounding too.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

GEEZ,keep the GMMG man...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the gmmg, dont put anything else in. If you want to do the muffler clamps and stuff have them build you another system as hacking up the gmmg would be a shame. Honestl id stay with the gmmg, ory, and lts. Flowmaster sounds good but doesnt flow well, stock is pointless as it doesnt flow that well either, and the hooker sounds good but not as good as the gmmg.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

alright, first thanks for the quick post, 4 inless than 10 minutes? I guess we are all bored at work, school or something...
I know I ll love the GMMG with LTs, ORY
I just want an alternative when driving for 2 hours...
now I could get some cats and it would reduce a bit but I want the big sound
I m thinking about just a quiet alternative muffler, that they could have clamp right after the I pipe that goes after the axelllll.
I dont know if I m using the right terms but I just want to be able to crawl under the car and swtich the whole muffler, plus tips.
I m not worry about power when I ll change them, Ill go back to GMMG for that !
do you guys think Hooker muffler on LTs and ORY would be quieter or similar as GMMG on stcok manifolds? I mean in terms of decibel
so many question...
thanks
PS: or I could just buy a 50 pair box of hearplug....
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Haha i would go with the earplugs. I dunno I used to drive my car to grad school everyday with mac headers, gutted cats, and slp lm, but I loved the sound and wanted loud all the time. Id say honestly if your really worried about it to buy a hooker catback and a cutout and sell the gmmg. I couldnt imagine having to crawl under the car and change the rear section everytime you wanted it quiet. Thatw ay if youw ant loud you can open the cutout and if you want it a little more resonable then run it through the hooker catback, or a magnaflow. Its up to you though, if you can get another rear section made and flanged/band clamped so that you can switch out the gmmg then by all means go for it. The hooker aerochamber flows extremely well and is fairly quiet. I dunno if you have ever been here but www.ls1sounds.com has tons of setups and sound clips. If you wanted quiet id go with hooker, magnaflow, or an slp dual/dual.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

And i dont know if the hooker is much quieter with Lt's and ory than a gmmg on stock manifolds. Id say they are about the same with the gmmg maybe a little more aggressive, but thats just what ive experienced, ive heard both but not side by side.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm running GMMG with LTs, ORY, and a large cam...it was a bit too "over the top" for me...I added a Borla XR-1 to the i-pipe and it helped to tone it down a tad...and it helped with some of the rasp. That all being said, if I could do it over again, I'd go with a catted-Y instead of the ORY...if for no other reason, the fumes you get with an ORY are very annoying (at least to me).
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha i would go with the earplugs. I dunno I used to drive my car to grad school everyday with mac headers, gutted cats, and slp lm, but I loved the sound and wanted loud all the time. Id say honestly if your really worried about it to buy a hooker catback and a cutout and sell the gmmg. I couldnt imagine having to crawl under the car and change the rear section everytime you wanted it quiet. Thatw ay if youw ant loud you can open the cutout and if you want it a little more resonable then run it through the hooker catback, or a magnaflow. Its up to you though, if you can get another rear section made and flanged/band clamped so that you can switch out the gmmg then by all means go for it. The hooker aerochamber flows extremely well and is fairly quiet. I dunno if you have ever been here but www.ls1sounds.com has tons of setups and sound clips. If you wanted quiet id go with hooker, magnaflow, or an slp dual/dual.
I already had a cut-out, and I dont like the sound, its loud but doesnt have any quality to it compare to a good muffler, IMO
I ll probalby just switch between GMMG and hooker since the hokker already has all the rea section ( tips, pipe , aerochmaber mufflers, it was just cut after the axle)
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I'm running GMMG with LTs, ORY, and a large cam...it was a bit too "over the top" for me...I added a Borla XR-1 to the i-pipe and it helped to tone it down a tad...and it helped with some of the rasp. That all being said, if I could do it over again, I'd go with a catted-Y instead of the ORY...if for no other reason, the fumes you get with an ORY are very annoying (at least to me).
I was worry about fumes too, is it bad even whith the pipes in the back , I dont want to sufocate at stop with the t-tops down !!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

I loved my Hooker LT's, ORY, and catback. Deep at low RPMs but screamed at WOT!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the LT/ORY/Hooker combo and am pretty happy with it. It is the perfect combo if your car is a daily driver. Pretty deep and melow below 2500 rpm, and screams at WOT.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

then it seems that I will go with the GMMG/hooker combo,
GMMG to have fun
Hooker to be quiet
both I m sure will sound goooood
just worry about fumes, but always the possibility to add cats in the future,
I ll do that next month thanks everybody
Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are you planning to do with your Flowmaster?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

well I dont know what I would do with both the flowmaster and the stock muffler
could have them worked on to be adaptable on both the axcle pipe
but I dont have tips , tubing for them , will see what the guys at the muffler shop suggest
anyways.. no big deal if I dont use it right away
I can always sell stuff on ebay
bye
Old 11-21-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me know if you decide to put it on Ebay, my friend is looking for one
Old 11-21-2005, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have LT, ORY, GMMG and it's pretty loud, I also have heads/cam (F13/112), I sounds fuggin awesome, but it's way too loud for me, I don't want to add cats because I don't want to lose power, I wouldn't mind adding the XR1 in the I pipe, but I really don't want to bang the underside of my car to get the clearance for the muffler so I am thinking of switching it out for a 4" mufflex, although I love the sound and the look of the GMMG. We'll see.....
Old 11-22-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cedric85745
but I want the big sound
I m thinking about just a quiet alternative muffler, that they could have clamp right after the I pipe that goes after the axelllll.
I dont know if I m using the right terms but I just want to be able to crawl under the car and swtich the whole muffler, plus tips.
You can't do this. The GMMG spilts into a Y as it goes over the axel, it then has TWO pipes and TWO mufflers.

All the other ones have a single pipe going into a large SINGLE muffler. It then has an outlet on each end to the tips. The only way you could do it is to swap them over at the jion the the main Y pipe.

Swapping an exhaust is nor quick or fun.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

300bhp/ton,
I know what you mean I looked at them last night and right after the axle they split,
sooo, how about that...
any solution?