Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Question!!! Will dropping my exhaust and driving like thataffect my motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Question!!! Will dropping my exhaust and driving like thataffect my motor

I was wondering if i cut the exhaust right after the cats will it affect my motor in any way????? I was told about back pressure but cant remember???????
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

people do it all the time. its not a problem
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

I would just simply say the farther away you stay from the fron o2 sensors, the better off you are.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

It can be done without damaging your engine, but I would assume your car wouldn't run very well. By taking off the Y-pipe, you'd be leaving your O2's more susceptible to oxygen from where your Y-pipe used to be, which would make you run rich and in turn would hurt your performance. Unless of course you get a tune after dropping the exhaust, then it wouldn't hinder performance as long as you have enough piping after the O2's.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Launching!

I think the rule of thumb is to have at leat 18" of tubing between your front 02 sensors and a source of fresh air (i.e. exhaust cutout). What kind of exhaust are you running? I think your best bet is to just place the cutout after your crossover pipe. You'll still get all the benefits of it without the worries of prematurely fouling your front 02s.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SalinasZ28
I was wondering if i cut the exhaust right after the cats will it affect my motor in any way????? I was told about back pressure but cant remember???????
First off why?

Technically you can do it, in fact you don't even need headers on an engine and it will run.

But apart from noise you will little in the way of performance gain.

Get a cat back if you want noise, if you want power as well get some long tube headers and a new mid pipe with high performance CATS as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

It should work fine. It will be like having full time cut outs. Loud narly cop magnet.