Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BorlaMouth Owners Please Comment!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BorlaMouth Owners Please Comment!!

I have LoudMouth II with longtubes and ORY. I have asked input on a sollution to my loudass car. Several have suggested putting a Borla XR-1 in the place of the SLP resonator. I would like for BorlaMouth owners(or people who have heard BorlaMouth) to comment on the sound of that setup. I don't want to waste my $ unless it will make a noticable difference. I don't mind my car being loud, I don't even mind the highway drone, but I hate the popping raspy sound around 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I have LoudMouth II with longtubes and ORY. I have asked input on a sollution to my loudass car. Several have suggested putting a Borla XR-1 in the place of the SLP resonator. I would like for BorlaMouth owners(or people who have heard BorlaMouth) to comment on the sound of that setup. I don't want to waste my $ unless it will make a noticable difference. I don't mind my car being loud, I don't even mind the highway drone, but I hate the popping raspy sound around 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

i had the lm with lt's and ory, and now i have the borlamouth and it makes a very noticeable difference in decreasing rasp and it is still nice and loud. cause i too like it loud and i didn't want to lose the loudness. i say go for it
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also installed the Borla XR-1 after I got longtubes. It is still loud but it gives it a deeper tone.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I reckon it's all subjective.

I'll be honest I've never listened too one in person, but I've downloaded nearly all of LS1Sounds.com

On the vids I certainly prefer the sound of the LM over the Borlamouth. But hay I'm sure it'll sound different in person as the camcorder mics are pretty poor quality and the compression of the vids is variable.

Oh BTW, there are loads of different Borla XR-1 mufflers, I'm not sure which one people use, but there are at least 3 or 4 different types that 'could' be used. An that doesn't include the sizes of each either.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I like mine. I don't think it's super loud,
and I'm running headers and no cats.
Mine stays up in the rpms a lot around town,
too, because of the 2.73s & 3500 stall.
The XR1 to put in place of the resonator is
40085. It's the 5" round.
There is an oval 3" in/out but I don't know if
it will fit. It may if turned on it's side.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I have an oval XR-1 on my LM. The sound is great - as in exactly what I was looking for, and I have no clearance issues. Albeit, it would have been a lot easier to install the round muffler instead of the oval.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Everyone, I just wanted to make sure of the sound before I ordered the muffler. Most people are saying to get the 5'' #40085. I guess that this is the one that will fit the best. Ebay has the 40085 for $107 plus shipping Is this the best price?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

check with the sponsors -------->
They should be able to match or beat the price and it keeps this board running
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

I've got a couple questions. I have the loudmouth and i would like to add a muffler just to get a deep tone and good performance Over the resignator. Would there be a difference in sound & performance if i got the 12'' compared to the 15''? I would not like to put the muffler where the resignator would go i would like to put it behind the axle in the tail pipe assembly (kinda like the borla cat back) would this be a problem? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 12-02-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like mine there is still rassing between 2000-2200rpms but only happens when I try to save gas and shift from 3rd to 5th or 6th mostly getting on the highway. As far as Loudness can be racecar loud when you rev it, But not too loud when the revs are down. We have picky cops where I live and I've gotten by them with no problems. After installing my 3.73 gears there is a bit more drone on 6th gear in the highway cruising at 80mph, but with the stock 3.42 it wasn't noticible. Bellow is a link to another post. I put 2 sound clips up there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/369021-how-reduce-my-exhaust-sounds.html
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
I've got a couple questions. I have the loudmouth and i would like to add a muffler just to get a deep tone and good performance Over the resignator. Would there be a difference in sound & performance if i got the 12'' compared to the 15''? I would not like to put the muffler where the resignator would go i would like to put it behind the axle in the tail pipe assembly (kinda like the borla cat back) would this be a problem? Thanks for the help!
You could do it but you will have 2 things to deal with You'll need to cut into the pipe to the Right side tip and you'll need to figure out a way to be able to block the other pipe other wise most eshaust will just go out the open pipe and it will be a wast of $100+ muffler. You may just want to put a cutout before the muffler (althought space is tight) or 2 cutouts on the y-pipe. That way you can go from nice loud to "I heard you comming from about 3 miles away"
Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
You could do it but you will have 2 things to deal with You'll need to cut into the pipe to the Right side tip and you'll need to figure out a way to be able to block the other pipe other wise most eshaust will just go out the open pipe and it will be a wast of $100+ muffler. You may just want to put a cutout before the muffler (althought space is tight) or 2 cutouts on the y-pipe. That way you can go from nice loud to "I heard you comming from about 3 miles away"
Well My dumb *** purchased a used LM cat back that was hacked up in order to take it off and the pipes we cut at all kinds of angles and the welds look like they were Done by someone that didn't know how to weld so im trying to cover up there mistakes with a muffler in the rear .(Rant Over)

Anyway i didn't think about that.. How much room/Clearance is there when putting the muffler under the car? does anyone have a pic? also i am adding a e-cutout before the muffler that i have sitting around here from my true dual set-up just incase i don't like the sound.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SmokedOutZ28, Sorry to hear. I'll see if I can take some pictures and post them tommorow.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
You could use two short mufflers in the back.
Or, what I would like to do, fit 2 XR1s in the back.
If 2 were placed side-by-side in the back it would be
easy to have them both exit on the left rear. Or with
a little fab work they could exit both sides (my preference).
This would retain the Y split with no blocking.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
SmokedOutZ28, Sorry to hear. I'll see if I can take some pictures and post them tommorow.
Yes please do
Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gwj
You could use two short mufflers in the back.
Or, what I would like to do, fit 2 XR1s in the back.
If 2 were placed side-by-side in the back it would be
easy to have them both exit on the left rear. Or with
a little fab work they could exit both sides (my preference).
This would retain the Y split with no blocking.
I C i don't believe theres enough room for a Xr1 im seeing pics of them put in sideways along side the driveshaft i don't like that idea too much, so im actually looking for a nice sounding powerful muffler in the shape and size of the dynomax bullet muffler. I would like to try to get on a dyno and try a series of round or bullet mufflers and see which one's produce the most power and have the best sound. Im probably going to attack that idea after the 1st of the yr and after i build my y-pipe, using magnaflow, flowmaster, dynomax, glasspack, borla, and the LM II mufflers.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

SmokedOutZ28-
Not talking about putting them by the DS-
Talking about the stock muffler location.
Put one XR1 on the pipe crossing over to the left.
Fit a piece on the "Y" to turn the same direction
and put another XR1 alongside.
Then either exit both on the left or fab a pipe to
turn back to the right side of car.
Or there may be a way to fit an oval XR1 on each
pipe before it exits the rear.......this would require
2.5" in/out instead of the 3".
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gwj
SmokedOutZ28-
Not talking about putting them by the DS-
Talking about the stock muffler location.
Put one XR1 on the pipe crossing over to the left.
Fit a piece on the "Y" to turn the same direction
and put another XR1 alongside.
Then either exit both on the left or fab a pipe to
turn back to the right side of car.
Or there may be a way to fit an oval XR1 on each
pipe before it exits the rear.......this would require
2.5" in/out instead of the 3".
yeah, i caught that i would like to see it done. but like i said i don't think theres enough room. those mufflers arnt small, i though they were but i was wrong.

Quick Reply: BorlaMouth Owners Please Comment!!