Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Anybody use a Diff. ory pipe then flow master

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP Anybody use a Diff. ory pipe then flow master

I have qtp's and there ory. Which is the flowmaster y. I have two problems with it, one being it leaks and two being i cant put a drive shaft saftey loop up there. was wonderign if any of you guys running qtp's is useing a dif ory..... hooker, custom, anything that might work..... thanks alot guys i would really liek to use the umi torque arm with ds loop so i need a new option thanks again
Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same tq. arm/ ds loop issue. I ended up simply using a standard (tranny mounted) aftermarket tq. arm. (I couldn't use the SPOHN tq. arm/DS that I had bought).
As for the leaks- weld that sucker up to get rid of the leaks. I only went one day with those crappy clamps before taking the ory/I pipe to the exhaust shop for some welds.

Oh yeah, most any other Y-pipe should fit (hooker, pacesetter, TSP, Kooks, etc.), though, you'll sacrifice the better flow characteristics of the flowmaster merge collector.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Flowmaster merge collector will clear with our tunnel brace mounted torque if you get it with out the front loop. Unfortunately the collector is in the way of running the drive shaft loop. If you are going to go with a different y-pipe I would recommend the Kooks, although expensive the fit is excellent and they tuck up extremely well. I assume it should bolt right up to the QTP's but double check first.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-24-2005, 10:48 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I also remember reading a thread where a QTP ORY user trimmed some length from the tips of his ORY (where the ORY slips over the header collectors) and he was able to locate the Y-merge further towards the front of the car (about 6-8 inches). This allowed him the clearance he needed for his cross member tq arm/ds loop.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The Flowmaster merge collector will clear with our tunnel brace mounted torque if you get it with out the front loop. Unfortunately the collector is in the way of running the drive shaft loop. If you are going to go with a different y-pipe I would recommend the Kooks, although expensive the fit is excellent and they tuck up extremely well. I assume it should bolt right up to the QTP's but double check first.

Thanks,
Ryan
and with the kooks your tunnel mount torque arm and ds loop will work? thanks for the help
Old 11-24-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I also remember reading a thread where a QTP ORY user trimmed some length from the tips of his ORY (where the ORY slips over the header collectors) and he was able to locate the Y-merge further towards the front of the car (about 6-8 inches). This allowed him the clearance he needed for his cross member tq arm/ds loop.
wow i would like to see this thread i will try search... but that seems like it could work very well
Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Run the Spohn torque arm. Its tight but works with the ds loop. Best TA out there IMO.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Thats a good idea and might do the trick. I personally have never ran the merge collector, I have just seen it.

35thls1ss19- Yes the Kooks y-pipe will fit excellent and in my opinion is one of the best out there. The picture below shows the Kooks y-pipe and our torque arm with no loop, but the loop does clear with plenty of room. The Kooks y-pipe also allows us to use a straight crossmember since it tucks up so nice. Most others need a drop in the crossmember for clearance.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ Sweet setup!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok well this sux, i asked this question in the suspension dept and no one told me about not being able to run a ds loop. i just ordered the mufflex y and bmr ds loop. if anyone finds that thread about trimming that y pipe please post it up.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

i had cartek make my Y pipe with a flowmasters collector for my QTP headers...
Old 11-24-2005, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

wow i like the setup. hows the kooks y compare to the flowmaster? hp wise? thanks and anyone no how much it it?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Do any of you have a pic of the QTP ORY installed? Might make life a little easier trying to set it up.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had to do alot to get it to work with my UMI torque arm. But I would rather have the torque arm.