Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust tips change sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust tips change sound?

i always wondered if exhaust tips changed the sound of the exhaust not by alot maby just a little depending on what they are. i'm just talking like 3.5' to 4' pipes, or dual tips, i herd that the stock z28 lt1s/ls1s exhaust tips are the loudest the way they resonate the noise. don't know if its true or not, i have 3.5' tubes on my car and im getting my 80 series flows taken off and putting GMMG on will 4' tips sound different at all from 3.5 with GMMG
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

tips dont make a difference if the pipes to the tips are the same size.

unless you got whistle tips yo!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would disagree and say that tips certainly have the ability to affect the sound.

Most of the sound I would guess is controlled by the engine and the rest of the exhaust. But if you think of an old Grammaphone they use a trumpet to increase the volume of the sound. A different sized or shaped trumpet would affect the sound. Maybe not change it par say but certainly alter the volume.

Also, I've seen it in person, or rather heard it. Many years ago when I still had the STOCK 2.0 in my TR7. It had the stock exhaust which had a rear box silencer woth the tailpipe straight off of it. Anyhow the weld failed on the tailpipe (mildsteel) and I simply pulled it off. The exhaust was the same, the silcencer was still in perfect working order, only it no longer had a tailpipe, but vented straight from the silencer to the outside.

It was noticable louder and more racey sounding. I was quite staggered to how much difference a 4" long peice of straight pipe made to the sound.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

If you want to significantly change the sound of your car do a muffler swap not tips. The price of to tips could be more than a new muffler.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I would disagree and say that tips certainly have the ability to affect the sound.

Most of the sound I would guess is controlled by the engine and the rest of the exhaust. But if you think of an old Grammaphone they use a trumpet to increase the volume of the sound. A different sized or shaped trumpet would affect the sound. Maybe not change it par say but certainly alter the volume.

Also, I've seen it in person, or rather heard it. Many years ago when I still had the STOCK 2.0 in my TR7. It had the stock exhaust which had a rear box silencer woth the tailpipe straight off of it. Anyhow the weld failed on the tailpipe (mildsteel) and I simply pulled it off. The exhaust was the same, the silcencer was still in perfect working order, only it no longer had a tailpipe, but vented straight from the silencer to the outside.

It was noticable louder and more racey sounding. I was quite staggered to how much difference a 4" long peice of straight pipe made to the sound.
TR7 my dad had a 77 TR7. Everytime it rained or if it was very humid, the car would not start. The dealer couldn't figure it out. Eventually my dad moved to SoCal and the problem went away. Damn Lucas electronics.

Re exhaust tips. I totally agree with your post. We had a 70 Olds Cutlas and when we installed the OEM megaphone tips the car did sound slightly different.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
TR7 my dad had a 77 TR7. Everytime it rained or if it was very humid, the car would not start. The dealer couldn't figure it out. Eventually my dad moved to SoCal and the problem went away. Damn Lucas electronics.
lol, in the UK the where all twin carb No problem then.

I've used it as my DD for several years and has been really good, except for blowing up the diff a few months back. But then again it ain't what you'd call stock. It has an aluminium V8, Weber 500 Carb. Basically the doors and boot lid are the only stock items now on the car.

Quick Reply: Exhaust tips change sound?