Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to make exhaust pipe gaskets with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to make exhaust pipe gaskets with?

I bought some used OBX brand headers for a DSM I own and have been having hell trying to find an OBX dealer to sell me the gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe... (Next time I will stick with a reputable brand that you CAN get parts for)

I tried taking the actual downpipe to a few muffler shops to see if they had a gasket that was close but I had no luck with that either.

I decided to try and make the gasket myself but I am not really sure what to make it out of. I had thought that some copper flashing could be used but(stack up 3 or 4 thin copper strips and then cut it out on the dotted lines)
wanted to get some professional input and advice...

If you guys had to make your own exhaust pipe gasket, what would you recommend to use? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your copper idea. Just make it thick enough so it gets crushed when you torque it down.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should work. My headers have standard 3 bolt flanges, I use aftermarket 'soft' copper gaskets on them without issue.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update...

Napa is my friend. They had a huge sheet of exhaust gasket making material and sold me a piece of it large enough to make a few gaskets with. It cost me about $8.00 total. Now all I have to do is cut it out and install it. I thought it was cool that they did not make me buy the whole sheet.

The wife took the headers we have and used them to trace me a pattern on an index card. After she cut the pattern out, she took the pattern and traced it off on to the gasket material.
All I got to do is cut it out now (she 'passed' on that part of it).

I was also browsing through their 'speciality tools' catalog and found the special DSM timing tool that I was needing. It was cheaper than any place else (even ebay) I had been looking and will be here in 3 or 4 days. A pleasant surprise for me!

Normally I try to stay away from Napa because of their 'insanely high' prices, but they really came through for me this time. They had darn near everything I needed and gave me a fair price as well... I got to start shopping there more often.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it...
Old 12-10-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

napa usually has the lowest prices compared to the bigger part stores IMO
Old 12-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Have you considered high temp. black silicone ? it works really well.
I have fitted S & P headers and when my exhaust man installed a complete stainless system he used that at every joint - flanged or clamped.