Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meizer electric WP thermostat location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Meizer electric WP thermostat location?

Why does the thermostat mount on the suction side of the Meizer pump (install shows a SBC thermostat w/ (2) 3/16" holes)? Can the thermostat be mounted in the stock LS1 location (pressure side of pump)? Seems like 55 GPM through two tiny holes is gonna starve the pump. Thank-you.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the bump.

Called Meziere this morning & confirmed the following:

1)Thermostat on the inlet side of the pump w/ (2) 3/16" holes drilled as above & in the LS1howto write up, is correct & the accepted method of using a thermostat in a Meziere electric pump. Use a small block Chevy type thermostat.

2)Meziere also noted that the best way to wire the pump is through a relay keeping the factory mounted fuse in the wire to the pump. Pump is waranteed for 2 years when installed & wired correctly. He did not say, but, I had trhe impression that removing the fuse or not fusing the circuit voids the warantee.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Update: (thermostat location & a few comments)

Final word about t-stat location is that it can be mounted in either location. I preffer the stock location (pump outlet) as opposed to the suction side of the pump & will mount it there.

The water pump location on an LS1 pretty much sucks. The pump inlet is the high point in the system leaving little avenue for escaping air. I don't know how many people have had heating problems because they thought all the air was gone, myself included. A simple 1/8" NPT port with a plug, on the pump above the inlet could have made removing air an easier task.

Another area that needs improvement is the directional limitation of the outlet water neck. Anyone wanting a great alternative to the stock neck which has one working position, down & away from the belt, Meziere is making a run this week of a neck that will come straight out (perpendicular) to the pump. For me this means a smooth 90 degree hose bend can be achieved instead of a hose kinking near 180 degree bend. They decided to do so because of several recent requests for a stock alternative. Meziere didn't say if the new part would become a catalogue item.

Don't know if they are a sponsor & I'm not a rep.. Just thought I'd note the water neck 'cuz there must be a lot of people that could benefit from a better outlet neck on the LS1. BTW, I found several alternatives that were Chevy small block specific & these do not fit an LS1 pump.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you post some pics?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Pic 402a shows the stock water neck going left & the hose comes from the right.

Pic 403a shows how the hose will need to bend to couple to the stock water neck. It actually is quite a bit more (almost kinked). Held it in position for the pic. Mounting it puts a lot of stress on the 10mm bolt threads holding the water neck in place.

Pic 404a shows how easily the hose will couple to the water pump with the new water neck (it will come straight out from the pump).
Attached Thumbnails Meizer electric WP thermostat location?-pictures-402a.jpg   Meizer electric WP thermostat location?-pictures-403a.jpg   Meizer electric WP thermostat location?-pictures-404a.jpg