Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound?

I just drove my car down here to FL from NJ, and about 4-5 hours in to the trip. My SES light popped on, but it was raining. So Im not sure if it was making the sound then. But from that point on, later on in the day, ive been hearing a sort of clicking sound upon acceleration, and at idle, maybe the headers need to be tightened down? im doing that later. But anyone know what this could be? And if its just the headers, could that cause the SES light?

I'm gonna try to get the code read later, gotta buddy who knows some folks in the area. So we'll see, but its my only ride and i gotta drive it back, so i really gotta get this taken care of, hope some1 here can shed some light on the situation, cuz if its not the headers, im lost.

On a good note, the weather here is great, and i heard its snowing by my house up north. w00t w00t, just beat it.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Clicking,.... maybe a loose plug wire? The arc would make a sound like that, and it would cause a misfire, which would equal an SES light.

Check for exhaust leaks around the headers, but also check the plug wires. Get the code scanned asap and see what it is......
Old 01-15-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

oh ya huh? i had no idea the wires made a sound like that. im sure thats what it is, i just did my plugs a few days ago. one probably shook loose. ill tighten them all this morning. thanks dude. ill have the code read still and tighten the headers for good measures, but the odds all point to the plug wire.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SaintNJ
oh ya huh? i had no idea the wires made a sound like that. im sure thats what it is, i just did my plugs a few days ago. one probably shook loose. ill tighten them all this morning. thanks dude. ill have the code read still and tighten the headers for good measures, but the odds all point to the plug wire.
Yeah, if a wire is loose enough to allow the electric current to arc on a surrounding metal surface rather than pass through the plug, it'll make a clicking/popping/crackling/ticking type noise. I'd say that's a good bet if you just did the plugs......

PS. If all the wires are snug, it could also possibily be that a plug itself is loose. That would be the next thing I'd check, since you recently changed them.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

A wire isn't going to just "shake loose" if its snapped on right in the first place...

Besides he would feel the misfire.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
A wire isn't going to just "shake loose" if its snapped on right in the first place...

Besides he would feel the misfire.
Maybe it wasn't on all the way in the first place, or perhaps it's worn and not holding as tight anymore. That happens a lot with aftermarket wires, sometimes even with stock ones. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to someone.

Obviously it could still be an exhaust leak as well, but never hurts to check an easy-to-fix possibility.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

My guess is exhaust leak and its throwing a CAT code of some sort. No way to tell over the internet though.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
My guess is exhaust leak and its throwing a CAT code of some sort. No way to tell over the internet though.
His sig lists an ORY and a tune, so I doubt a cat code would still be present.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
His sig lists an ORY and a tune, so I doubt a cat code would still be present.
You're right, I didn't check his sig.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

If it's an exhaust leak pre/near the front O2 sensor then the code could likely be A/F related, as the introduction of un-metered outside air will make the O2 sensor readings false.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

^^ i believe thats going to be the issue. i tightened all the plugs before i hit the gym, ticking was gone. when i left the gym, started her up and it was back. so when i got back, i tightend them up again, but this time it didnt go away. i think the only reason i didnt hear it this morning was because the engine was cool. why that has a bearing on the situation is beyond me, but once it warmed up that tick came back. its also loudest when under the car right near the headers, so it has to be an exhaust leak, i cant think of anything else. on a good note, the SES code is gone now.

i dont have tools with me, so im gonna try and tighten the headers up at my friends place, hes got a few tools over there. i just gotta wash the car and let that bad boy cool down first then get to work. ill keep you all posted.

and big time thanks for all your help and input.