Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello tsp x pipe goodbye clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hello tsp x pipe goodbye clearance

Just finished install today. Sounds amazing. No clearance. I can roll a can of soda under the tips but just barely. I tried the x both ways. The way it is mounted now It has better clearance. The rest of the system is fine. The only real clearance problem is with the turndowns and sweet thunders. I mounted it with the weight on the suspension. I even put a jack under the x pipe to achieve the best clearance possible and then I pushed and pulled them upward as far as possible. Looked good in the air, when I put it down that's when I saw the issue. Does anyone know the best way to mount it for clearance. I used the search and tried all of the suggested mounting methods but, still no clearance.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Try this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/436775-tsp-duals-installed-where-did-my-ground-clearance-go.html
Old 01-15-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have read that before and even used most of the ideas when monuting. Still not much clearance though. I pushed everything up as tight as it would go. What kind of clearance would be considered acceptable for these systems?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your mufflers tucking inside the driveshaft tunnel? I jacked and jacked on mine untill it was riding high and dry. My car has the heaterhose mod and 1/2 a coil cut off of both sides in the rear. This helped a little bit with the TQ arm hitting the x, but not much.

You need to put a board across the turndowns and jack them up from there, not at th ex-pipe. You are letting the mufflers droop down when you jack up the x-pipe, you want them to actually go up as much as possible If you find a place where it hits, or is going to hit, bash it in or somthing. Do that a few times and address a few issues, and it should ride much better. I managed to get my bullets running parallel to the ground the other day. They had been riding a little low for over a year

In the second pic, you can see where i had to dent in one of my bullets to get it to sit beside the seat pan right.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I geuss I should get to bashing stuff in then! I'm honestly thinking about taking it to an exhaust shop and having them give it a try. But first, I think I'll bash stuff. Your ground clearance looks about a half inch to an inch higher than mine. Thanks for the pics and info.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An inch is a mile when you've only got 4" of clearance! Mine hits on stuff every now and then but its much better than it was.

I also did a little work on my turndowns with the plasma cutter. They are notched out so they dont hang down as far.

Just mess with it for a long time, you'll get it done
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool man, I really appreciate your help.