Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body ?

Just installed a ported and polished throttle body. The TB came with a larger hole in the throttle plate than the stock throttle plate, which caused it to idle fast. 2000 rpm then slowing to 1500. I went back to the stock throttle plate which has a smaller hole and that solved the idle problem. I took it for a test drive and the car runs fine until about 3800 rpm and then it lays down. I went back to the stock throttle body and now the car runs fine. Do i need to tune for a ported and polished throttle body? Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure your gettin full throttle with the new TB because sometimes the cable needs to be readjusted to get it. Kinda simple but sometimes the simple stuff is overlooked. Other than that I would say the TPS but you said you put your old one back on and it does fine. Are you useing the same sensors on both TBs?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

i had my stock TB ported/polished and had no idle problems.and i feel it pick up more like around 3000rpm its nice. i tried porting it myself, and put the return spring on wrong, which caused it to idle high, since it wasnt closing all of the way. heres what ya do, check the spring to make sure it is in the correct place. then turn the key on, but dont start it. pull your PCM BAT fuse and PCM IGN fuse under the hood turn key off. let it sit for a minute like that. then put fuses back in and start the car, it will erase codes and then drive it for like 15 mins to relearn your driving style. i did that after i messed my tb up, and had the good TB on.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

the throttle plate appeared to be closed all of the way, but i think it was the Throttle position sensor geekin out and making it idle high, because it wasnt going back down to idle, due to my spring not being in the right place
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Teching In

The plate was closed .when I switched back to the stock plate it idled fine. It ran good until about 3800 rpm and the laid down and shifted gears(A4). The only way the car runs correctly is with the stock TB. Stock senors on both TB's.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I didn't do anything with the fuses, as soon as I put the old TB back on it ran fine!