Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR block off plates.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR block off plates.....

I have an odd ticking/clicking sound that sounds like it is in the exhaust area, I have posted in the other ticking threads especially the MAC headers tick threads. Any how I was thinking it might be my check valves??? So in order to test this I am going to put block off plates between the header tube and the connection to AIR. Now my question is will anything be harmed or any problems of I do this with the AIR still hooked up? I am assuming if my problem is the check valves the plates will stop them from fluttering??? TIA!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8SFITURBO
I have an odd ticking/clicking sound that sounds like it is in the exhaust area, I have posted in the other ticking threads especially the MAC headers tick threads. Any how I was thinking it might be my check valves??? So in order to test this I am going to put block off plates between the header tube and the connection to AIR. Now my question is will anything be harmed or any problems of I do this with the AIR still hooked up? I am assuming if my problem is the check valves the plates will stop them from fluttering??? TIA!

If you plan on leaving the air system in place, you might drill a small hole through the block off plate. This will allow the air system to function properly and stop the valves from fluttering. If you plan on removing the air system, just rip the stuff off and put the block off plates on. When I still had my air system, I made some block off plates from some scrap thin gauge aluminum and drilled a small hole through the center and that stopped my valves from fluttering. Good luck!!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or just ditch the air system if can get away with it. (emission wise)

I think that if you want to check your system the way you are thinking, you should unplug the air pumps below your driver headlight. I have a feeling that if you blocked that off it wouldn't be good for the pumps.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, Thanks for the input guys. Good thought about unpluging it, I think I will try that first.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put restrictor plates in mine once but the holes were
too small (I guess) because I got an AIR code after a
couple of days. And the ticking was not affected. Now
I have no AIR related problems
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Teching In

dumb question perhaps, but in conjunction with a longtube install is it possible to delete the air and leave the tubes in pump in place as a dummy for appearance sake, in case I have to have dealer service, I don't want to hear any crap about illegal emmisions removal there fore we can't work on your car, i also plan on deleting the rear 02's but leaving them in the y-pipe as dummies, i live in CT and have to deal with the smog ***** on my 02 ss.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kapitan_zur_SS
dumb question perhaps, but in conjunction with a longtube install is it possible to delete the air and leave the tubes in pump in place as a dummy for appearance sake, in case I have to have dealer service, I don't want to hear any crap about illegal emmisions removal there fore we can't work on your car, i also plan on deleting the rear 02's but leaving them in the y-pipe as dummies, i live in CT and have to deal with the smog ***** on my 02 ss.
I really think they would catch on. But to get away with it: Unplug air pump, get light tuned out, either gut cats, or weld the shell of the cat back over your ypipe (if you are getting a new one). And you could always bold the block off and air tubes back to headers, but would probably need longer bolts.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kapitan_zur_SS
Not really sure why you would want to do that. !AIR doesn't produce HP it just cleans up the engine bay. You could just unplug/disable the air pump and install blockoff plates in between the AIR fittings on the headers I guess.