Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" muffler vs 4" muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3" muffler vs 4" muffler...

I installed my QTP's this weekend and ran into a small problem after the install was complete. I found a small exhaust leak right after the flowmaster collector. At the flowmaster merge on the ORY the fitting is a 4" coupled to a reducer which makes it 3". Right at the reducer there is a leak. Currently I have the SLP LMII exhaust on my car, which w/ LT's and a ORY is still loud as hell. I mean, seriously loud w/ some minor rasp. I guess the LMII tried to cut the rasp. Anyways, I've convinced myself to go with the infamous Borla Mouth mod to perhaps cut down a little on sound, but mainly the rasp. Now my question is as followed:

Should I get the 3" in and out muffler and re-use the reducer or should I just opt for the 4" in and out muffler?

If I go with the 3" I have a feeling that I will run into the same problem with the leak that I have now due to how the LM setup is laid out. The reducer has to sit too far back into flowmaster collecter to make everything fit.
Now if I go with the 4" muffler, I can set it up so that the muffler slips in right after the collector and then put a 3" reducer after the muffler. Also, is it beneficial or feasible to use a 4" muffler on a stock cube engine?? In the next months or so I'll be getting H/C but no stroker is in sight. And last, how will my ground clearance be affected by these new mufflers?? Should I go with the round model, or the oval model? Thanks for looking and I appreciate any comments or feedback left!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup also leaked at the cone reducer. I had it welded up there. Problem gone.
http://home.att.net/~carlos.ramirez1...2/site1027.jpg
As for muffler selection, just pick a free flowing design and you're set.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I go with the oval design or the round design?