Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install - how to get the oil dipstick tube through pass. side header?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header install - how to get the oil dipstick tube through pass. side header?

Well, I got the headers in just fine, but the passenger side header wouldn't go up enough to get the oil dipstick tube through. The way I have it now, the tube is bent down. I obviously don't want to leave it like this. How did you guys get the dipstick tube through the header? I couldn't see where it mounts to disconnect it from below. Did you just work the header up through until you were able to get the tube through, or did you disconnect it from the bottom then reconnect it after the headers were in and it was through? Need some help here, guys. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Restricted User

Unbolt the stick, 15mm bolt located in the middle of the head, and gently pull straight up. Once the header is in place, and bolted down, you can leave the stick in the tube, and slide it back down, b/w the 2d and 3rd tube, angled towards the block. If you look from underneath, you will see directly forward of the starter, there is a large boss on the bottom edge of the block where the stick inserts. GL

Charlie
Old 01-21-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the bracket bolt out earlier, no problem. I couldn't see where the tube goes in; do I need to remove the starter? And, is there some kind of seal on it that I need to be careful with?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
I got the bracket bolt out earlier, no problem. I couldn't see where the tube goes in; do I need to remove the starter? And, is there some kind of seal on it that I need to be careful with?
You should get someone to help you. Get underneath the hole is right by the starter. No need to take anything off. No seal to worry about. Just have someone feed it down to you from above and guide it into the hole.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome. Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: header install - how to get the oil dipstick tube through pass. side header?