Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.i.r. ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A.i.r. ?

So I was looking at the A.I.R. system the other day trying to locate all the pieces that I would need to remove, and I discovered that the previous owner has removed the box or solenoid or whatever is suppose to be behind the driver's side light and replaced it with a little breather filter. So now I'm curious how this is effecting my engine? Isn't it basicly an exhaust leak right now? Or is there a solenoid keeping it from being open all the time? My first guess would be not, because of the amount of crud on the breather. I now believe I know where the exhaust fumes I've been smelling are coming from! Any input?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

A check valve in the air system should only make it flow from the pump to the air system. Most cars have the check valve fail. I say if you can, remove the entire system. (When you get headers or what not)
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

I've got full length headers already. Can you buy the block off plates for them, or do you have to fab them?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I guess what I am wanting to know is if it's hurting anything running it the way it is until I can get around to taking to off?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy block off plates, but I'm not sure which sponsors sell them. Just look around. Or, you could just make them yourself.
Explained here:
http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's normal.

When you get an air lid, you no longer have the 'nub' for that air hose, since it was on the stock air box. Thus, you get a small breather filter. No it is not an exhaust leak and no you will not smell any fumes because of it.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.speedinc.com sells the block off plates
Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by keliente
It's normal.

When you get an air lid, you no longer have the 'nub' for that air hose, since it was on the stock air box. Thus, you get a small breather filter. No it is not an exhaust leak and no you will not smell any fumes because of it.
Thanks. It already had the lid when I got it, so I didn't know where that hose was suppose to run.