Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on the mac y-pipe on stock manifolds

Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? on the mac y-pipe on stock manifolds

hey guys i was wondering if the mac ory y-pipe for the stock manifold's actually will improve some numbers? i live in florida so i dont need cats plus im getting my ecm reporgram to eliminate egr,air,cats,rear o2's.so is it actually worth some numbers?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nope....gains will not be noticeable.
Save money for something else....like throttle body, or ls6 intake....
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Mac and didnt feel any gains at all. Just louder exhaust. I am currently waiting on my pacesetters to arrive with the TSP ypipe so I can get rid of the Mac.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for the record, nothing wrong with the MAC setup. I just can't justify spending $100-200 on any Y-pipe and have it couple with stock headers.

What gives you gains is headers/Y-pipe setup, not y-pipe by itself.
Even if you ditch cats, it's still a very insignificant gain....

My advice, go with either new headers (MAC midlength, LT Hookers, jet-hot, or something like that)
Old 01-24-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
hey guys i was wondering if the mac ory y-pipe for the stock manifold's actually will improve some numbers? i live in florida so i dont need cats plus im getting my ecm reporgram to eliminate egr,air,cats,rear o2's.so is it actually worth some numbers?
EGR, AIR do not hinder HP in any way, so their removal will net ZERO gain.

The CATS do restrict exhaust flow, but they are not the only thing. So by removing only them you'll probably notice very little gian.

you need a good free flowing Cat back exhaust, using 3" tubing. Then a Y pipe also of 3" with either no CATS or high flow CATS. You should then see a small gain maybe ~10rwhp or so. To really get the benefits you need to replace the most restrictive part - the headers. Get some long tube headers, these not only flow much better but will also promote scavenging. You should see a pretty decent gain with a FULL header and exhaust setup although a tune maybe needed to get the full potential of it.

Is bhp or sound your main aim?

Search this Thread