Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster.........restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster.........restrictions?

My friend just got a flowmaster 40 series and says he is geting performance out of it, I have herd that the flowmasters have a lot of restrictions......do they, and could he have goten a better one, performance wise?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yes he most certainly could of. Just tell him to get a cutout
Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lithium
Yes he most certainly could of. Just tell him to get a cutout
Yeah, I knew it, Sycotic Reject told him that it was restricting him alot, but he said he doesnt care he likes the sound......... I told him that he was talking like a ricer!!! he has a formula and I told him that if he was looking for sound and not performance to buy a civic and put a fart canon to sound loud, I told him he would have ben better of gutting the cats like I did to sound a little louder.....but he keeps insisting that flowmasters give him power....I still think he should go sleeper because he has ben challenged buy a lot of cars and he has only had it for like 2 weeks....but its his car. He will probably get the cut outs but then he got the exhaust for nothing, he could of used that money for something better, like k&n air filter or a better air lid but noooooo....... I hope he sees this post so that he realizes that I was right. Thanks for that Lithium.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

I dont think the 40 series is all that restrictive, it's there cross flow 80 series that sucks from what I hear, I put 40 series on my 67 firebird and it sounds bad *** with the big block and huge cam!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
I dont think the 40 series is all that restrictive, it's there cross flow 80 series that sucks from what I hear, I put 40 series on my 67 firebird and it sounds bad *** with the big block and huge cam!
Yep, it's the 80 series crossflow muffler that totally blows and restricts exhaust. The 40 series aren't the best flowing muffler on the market, but by far not the worst. The 10 series single chamber race mufflers are the way to go if you like the flowmaster sound.......that's what is going on my duals that I'm fabbing up right now
Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

yep, everybody rags on Flowmaster for no reason. Just stay away from the 80 series(crosslow for f bod stock location)Normal Flowmasters are good muffs, especially if you are running duals. I am thinking about swapping my dynomax ultraflos for Series 10, those lil boogers sound bad and flow good.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 80 series is the worst, but none of them are very good. I'd stay away from flowmaster period, if you are interested in performance. Unless you just like the sound, and have a cutout when you need performance.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Or unless you get the 1-chambers or their bullet race mufflers. The 80-series is a piece of
Old 01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

i put a 80 series cross flow on my car shortly after getting it.....but i finally wised up and have lanes 3" true duals now
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Yep, it's the 80 series crossflow muffler that totally blows and restricts exhaust. The 40 series aren't the best flowing muffler on the market, but by far not the worst. The 10 series single chamber race mufflers are the way to go if you like the flowmaster sound.......that's what is going on my duals that I'm fabbing up right now
I agree, and yes... those 1-chambers sound bad-***!!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Raven
Yeah, I knew it, Sycotic Reject told him that it was restricting him alot, but he said he doesnt care he likes the sound......... I told him that he was talking like a ricer!!! he has a formula and I told him that if he was looking for sound and not performance to buy a civic and put a fart canon to sound loud, I told him he would have ben better of gutting the cats like I did to sound a little louder.....but he keeps insisting that flowmasters give him power....I still think he should go sleeper because he has ben challenged buy a lot of cars and he has only had it for like 2 weeks....but its his car. He will probably get the cut outs but then he got the exhaust for nothing, he could of used that money for something better, like k&n air filter or a better air lid but noooooo....... I hope he sees this post so that he realizes that I was right. Thanks for that Lithium.
Is this the Flowmaster catback you are referring to or did they just replace the muffler from the stock exhaust with a Flowmaster??

Anyhow the Flowmaster CB may not be the best but it does flow better than stock, so yes they will have picked up something. However any catback will not yeild much of a result in BHP terms without doing the headers and mid pipe also. Any gain is most likely just sound and throttle response which can make SOTP sensation feel faster when it really isn't.

BTW - Why would anyone buy a Civic to sound good

Also the Flowmaster catback is a far better performance mod than a K&N filter
Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Teching In

i was telling him to use the money on the spark plugs and plug wires and new oil and all of the other cheap essentials before spending money on a flowmaster and thinking that he is gaining alot of power, instead of spending all of that money, like a dumbass. but owell thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The 10 series single chamber race mufflers are the way to go if you like the flowmaster sound.......that's what is going on my duals that I'm fabbing up right now
I had them on my '02 Z and loved them. I'll be doing the same with the T/A whenever I get around to it.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Hey im the one who ghot the exhaust and im happy with them, It runs better and it sounds alot better.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

jmm98ls1-The 10 series single chamber race mufflers are the way to go if you like the flowmaster sound.......that's what is going on my duals that I'm fabbing up right now
ive got those and they sound amazing. Cant wait til you get them on. you wont be dissapointed.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Launching!

First thread I've seen where everyone isn't doggin on Flowmaster in general.
duals baby duals
Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Single chambers sound bad *** I have them on my 99 SS and when my built motor goes in my 67 SS, I will be pulling those 40 series off and replacing them with single chambers and a H or X pipe. For those that have an H pipe with single chambers, I would love to hear a sound clip if you have one. I am curious as to how the tone of this muffler changes. For my 67, I would really like to have a more bassy sound. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty bassy now with an x pipe, but I think it sounds better up top with the x. Many people say that the lower rpms sound much better with an H. Opinions? Z28convert, would you have a sound clip of your car?

Quick Reply: Flowmaster.........restrictions?