Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Clearance: TSP True Duals, Lowered car

Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Clearance: TSP True Duals, Lowered car

Tried searching for this and couldn't find an answer. I'm going to be lowering my car before spring with DMS Springs. My ground clearance isn't the best right now (about 4 inches), so I was thinking about swapping out my catted Y and maganflow for TSP True Duals. I've got Pacesetter long tubes.

What kind of ground clearance can I expect? I've heard both positive and negative about this setup, but not enough of either side to make a good judeegment.

Also, if anyone has any pics of their TSP TD's, please post them!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Not much clearance at all. I doubt a soda can layed on it's side will roll completely under the car.

Most of the TSP kit's clearance comes from the installer - make sure you tuck it close everywhere possible!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ground clearance from duals should be no less than the ground clearance of a 3" y pipe if its made right and installed right.

The mufflers on the duals can be made to hang no lower than the driver side pipe coming off the header.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much none...lol.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm lowered with a pro-kit and am in the process of fabbing up my own 2.5" duals off of pacesetter longtubes with h-pipe and single chamber flowmasters dumped at the axle. I'm going to have the same if not better clearance than I had with mac midlengths, ory, cutout with turndown and catback. It's all about tucking things in the right places and tweaking it for best fit.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how would you be able to tuck it up there?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

I am also curious of the fitment issues of the TSP x-pipe on a pro-kitted f-body...can the pipe be modified to where it is tucked away nicely?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hardrock21
I am also curious of the fitment issues of the TSP x-pipe on a pro-kitted f-body...can the pipe be modified to where it is tucked away nicely?
I had the pro kit and TSP duals. Its not good at all!
3" x is too big for a lowered car. I couldnt go over the smallest of speedbumps and had big problems getting in/out of driveways.

If you take it to an exhaust shop, they might be able to tuck it up a little better for another inch or 2 or clearence. I had to put on the stock springs in the back, and then clearence was bad but at least I could drive it everyday.

If your car is lowered, I would only look at 2.5" dual setups which are more than enough to support 400-450+whp
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

my car is lowered and i have 3in tucked real nice so you CAN have good clearance with 3in duals just take your time and as said before push everything as close as you can before it hits something. My duals were built by Lane though not TSP, but I am sure you could get go clearance out of them with patients and time. I am also lowered about 2in front and rear and the lowest point in my system is the drivers side where the pipe goes under the frame part.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:06 AM
That's what she said...

3" is highly pushing it, but if you can live with scraping over a few things every now and then, you could make it work.

Check the link in my sig. The pictures in that thread of my exhaust before i put the cats/extensions on is about as high as you're going to tuck a TSP TD system. I did a little bashing, jacking, and squeezing to get it to fit like that. The car is lowered approx. 1" in the rear as well (in all those pics).

Lowering the car causes the TQ arm to raise a bit, clearing the x-pipe a little more. It also helps you to not have to dip the pipe after the mufflers if you want to run out the back due to the swaybar being 1" higher in relation to where the dumps were.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Heres pics of my TSP dual install at stock height
I would imagine you could just take what you see there (or around there depending on how high you tuck it), and subtract what you lower with your lowering kit... right?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my thread about this. At stock ride height I have had no problems and have been very happy with them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/291448-true-dual-pic.html
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Here is my thread about this. At stock ride height I have had no problems and have been very happy with them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291448
The orange car in this thread has U-bolt clams on it. My system came with these due to a shortage of bandclamps at TSP or somthing. I drove it for about a week and they sent me all bandclamps to put on. So the system does not normally come with those big *** u-bolts, but comes with the nicer "band" clamps instead.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Launching!

If you design your true duals correctly and run the pipes in the same place the single pipe ran, you will probably have better ground clearance than you had with the stock , stupid "Y" pipe system. Place the mufflers in the rear, one on either side of the rear tub. With true duals the ground clearance will be much better than with any other exhaust system. A true dual exhaust system is the only exhaust system worth spending the time and money to do to the LS-1 powered F-Body. I would not even think about installing anything but a true dual exhaust system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ground Clearance: TSP True Duals, Lowered car