Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

random tech catback question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default random tech catback question?

so when i bought my car i knew it had a cat back but i couldnt figure out what kind because it wasnt that loud and very high pitched when revved... so i got sick of the 4" slash cut tips that were put on and got a hooker catback to go with the pacesetters and offroad y since i like how they sound.. but when i take the old catback off i see on the top of the muffler the its a random tech cat back... anyone have these? they seem pretty rare.. does it flow well? sound a lot better with headers and ory?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

A friend used to have an SS with the R/T system. It sounded really nice with headers and a H/C package.

I remember his car only gained something like 2 hp on the dyno when they ran an open Y-pipe vs the R/T system, so yeah I'd say it flows pretty damn good.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

I have ATR which is supposed to be the same thing as the Random Tech catback. It supposedly flows 99% of a straight pipe.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

maybe i should have given it a shot but i cut the over the axle pipe to get it off... i have the hooker now, i definately like the hookers sound better... dont know if the hooker flows as well though.. i suppose ill just keep it in the garage, but it anyone wants it just PM me and you can have it for price of shipping.. ill cut the over the axle pipe off and unbolt the pipes from the muffler so its cheaper
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Default exhaust

ill take it for the price of shipping 54915 in wisconsin write back with some details i have stock exhaust right now and its not cutting it, and is this the whole catback?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

its the long pipe from the y, the muffler, pipes that leave the muffler and go to the back and the tips.. the only pipe youll need is the over the axle pipe because i had to cut it to get it off since it was welded.. im sure you could have someone make it for you or buy one somewhere..