Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

glasspack or cheery bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glasspack or cheery bomb?

i hav the slp loudmouth1, i walked into a store with a friend and saw 2 mufflers a glass pack one and a cherry bomb one.

now will either one of these 2 make my exhuast louders then then the loudmouth i have on?

which one is the louder one of the 2 and which has the most free flow as well?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:35 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think archaeologist's recovered a glass pack and a cherry bomb in Egypt's Valley of the Kings last week, said it was one of the oldest artifacts ever found at the site.

If you want loud, put a freaking cutout on, or better yet, just remove your exhaust system at the y-pipe! OR you could remove the y-pipe and just run straight manifolds!

The reason your car is "quiet", is because you still have CATS. Why in the hell do you want louder than a loud mouth? PLEASE don't tell me you're going to put dual 5" exhaust tips on as well!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

me and my freind jus ordered dual cutouts, i was j/w wuts the difference they cheery bomb and glass pack?

so i guess the loudmouth is the king of volume raising...i must be goin def or sumthin lol
Old 01-29-2006, 12:47 AM
That's what she said...

Dual cutouts is going to be so loud, i'm going to hear it from overseas, and tell you to close 'em up

The fact is, your car is loud, and you just got used to it. When i first put my dumped 3" duals on, i thought it sounded like a fuel car. After a few weeks, it sounded like a dailydriver again.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

yep same here, when I went with Mac mids and flowmaster CB thought it sounded great, them went with cutout to make it louder, then Lts for the deep sound a power

the more you drive it the less sound the car seems to make. but fact is you just get used to it
when I installed the latest setup I thought it was good and loud, now it just seems like any other car out there
Old 01-29-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Same here when i got my sweet thunders put in i was in love with the sound. Now i want to go louder. Maybe even open headers at times, but then i wonder what the **** i will do if i get used to open headers. But when i tried it i don't think its possible to get used to it.
-Joel
Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

all these posts and still no one has answered his question. a glasspack and cherry bomb are identical. both are filled with fiberglass that eventually burns out and become even louder. both have a straight thru design. if u want loud just get some straight pipe and put it in.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

does anyone have the cherry bombs with true duals on an F-Body??

or a sound clip?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Launching!

I wonder how that /\ would sound. Probably not the greatest, but im still interested.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

eh?

I think everyones missed the original post. He as a LOUDmouth. Seriously no muffler is actually going to make it louder, be it duals or Y pipe. Even cutouts maynot make a massive difference, except for exiting under the car, so the interior noise will be louder.

A cheery bomb is a form of glass pack muffler. Very a kin to a bullet muffler. Straight thru core and flow pretty decent. They use glass fibre packing which breaks down over time. Newer bullet mufflers use matal fibre packing and don't tend to breakdown as much and will sound different.

For some reason in the US theres seems to be a big anti hate glass pack mufflers. Not really sure why, because back in the hay day (60/70's) they where used extensivly on muscle cars and rods. Yet they sounded great back then, but some how this seems to be forgotten.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, a glasspack/cherry bomb is not the same as a bullet muffler. Look through them one time to see the difference. Cherry Bombs typically have raised louvers inside to direct some of the flow into the muffler itself, which is where you get that cackle from...unfortunately those louvers create a lot of turbulance and kill off whatever extra flow you might get from the straight through design. Bullet mufflers are straight through with a perforated core, nothing hanging out inside (just lots of holes in the core).

Old skool rodders ran cherry bombs because they were cheap and because they liked the sound. Try to remember the difference in exhaust technology from the 60's compared to today
Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Same here when i got my sweet thunders put in i was in love with the sound. Now i want to go louder. Maybe even open headers at times, but then i wonder what the **** i will do if i get used to open headers. But when i tried it i don't think its possible to get used to it.
-Joel
"Car sounds pretty sweet dude, and a lot louder than before; what did you do to it?"

"I'm runnin a G.E. turbofan engine out of a dc9 cargo plane."

"Ah sweet, I'm installing the space shuttle launch module into my car next week."

"Omg that's gonna pwn! I'm thinkin about redoing my turbofan setup later this month, my ears don't bleed anymore when I go to the grocery store or run the kids to school."

"Yeah, I feel you man. This launch module is gonna sound badass when I get it installed. Too bad with the costs of liquid hydrogen and solid propellant fuel, I'll only be able to start it for .835 seconds per year. It's gonna sound totally badass though!"
Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Cherry Bomb is a glass pack!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

DAMN, you guys dug up some old ****. There is a reason this thread died.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
"Car sounds pretty sweet dude, and a lot louder than before; what did you do to it?"

"I'm runnin a G.E. turbofan engine out of a dc9 cargo plane."

"Ah sweet, I'm installing the space shuttle launch module into my car next week."

"Omg that's gonna pwn! I'm thinkin about redoing my turbofan setup later this month, my ears don't bleed anymore when I go to the grocery store or run the kids to school."

"Yeah, I feel you man. This launch module is gonna sound badass when I get it installed. Too bad with the costs of liquid hydrogen and solid propellant fuel, I'll only be able to start it for .835 seconds per year. It's gonna sound totally badass though!"
ROFL Superb.