Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Motor Mounts + Trans. Mount. Any cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Motor Mounts + Trans. Mount. Any cons?

A long time ago I heard a rumor that it was bad to run poly motor mounts and a poly trans. mount b/c it put too much stress on the bell housing or something. Is there any truth behind this, or is it bs? I've already got a poly trans. mount on, and have motor mounts on the way and just wanted to double check before installing the motor mounts.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

BS...As far as I know atleast.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Never heard that before. I have all three poly mounts with no ill side effects to speak of.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personally seen a bellhousing crack basically all the way around, and the only reason we came up with for it cracking like that was the poly transmission mount. The car did not have poly motor mounts, therefore it would torque quite a bit under a heavy, sudden load. The poly mount for the transmission was a lot stronger than the rubber motor mounts and was resisting the torque from the motor, cracking the bellhousing. Having all three poly mounts shouldn't cause a problem, but I wouldn't really recommend running just a poly transmission mount.

The transmission is going to want to do whatever the motor is, so I would want to keep all of the mounts the same stiffness.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok ... thanks for puttin that one to rest guys