Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding that exhaust leak.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finding that exhaust leak.

Im getting tired of my darn LT's causing this exhaust leak. The sound is unbearable.

Vid.

I've tried tightening the bolts on the EGR, AIR, and the manifold itself. Took it off, put it back on, etc. Thinking about doubling the gasket but all I have is the paper gasket that it came with, and the stock metal gasket. Any conflicts with that mixture?

Also, I know some use a water spray bottle to find vacuum leaks, is there any cool tricks like that that I may be able to use to narrow down the possible location?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

What brand of headers?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Launching!

coated pacesetter w/ emission fittings.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, My MACs sound just like that
Old 01-31-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Where ever its leaking they should be a black spot. I used to have trouble with mine leaking around the collector where the exhaust hooked up. Dont use metal and the paper gasket it wont help just use new stock replacment metal gaskets...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

I already checked for a visual indication, there is none. Tightened down the collectors as good as I can already. I just dont know when ill have time to order a set of new gaskets.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Did you use a stock GM gasket?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

the stock metal gaskets, yes.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man I work in aircraft hydraulics and pnuematics, when I need to find a pnuematic leak I use a "soap" solution, it just consists of liquid soap and water. Sounds so simple, and it is just pour it on. Dont spray it because it wont collect enough in the area use something like and eyedropper, something that you can pour but be controlled with, You will probably want to use something bigger. I would put the car on jack, let the motor and exhaust cool, and I mean get cold so you dont burn yourself. Then put some ear plugs in start the car and get under it with the solution and go to work. Works everytime. Let me know if you got any other problems or still cant find it.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

I also agree with crazy man use the stock replacement metal gasket, you can really put some torque on em and get a tight seal.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by radz
Hey man I work in aircraft hydraulics and pnuematics, when I need to find a pnuematic leak I use a "soap" solution, it just consists of liquid soap and water. Sounds so simple, and it is just pour it on. Dont spray it because it wont collect enough in the area use something like and eyedropper, something that you can pour but be controlled with, You will probably want to use something bigger. I would put the car on jack, let the motor and exhaust cool, and I mean get cold so you dont burn yourself. Then put some ear plugs in start the car and get under it with the solution and go to work. Works everytime. Let me know if you got any other problems or still cant find it.
soap solutuion wont work for exhaust
Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much HP can you lose with a manifold leak? I think I have a small one because the bolt hole is cross threaded and I can't put a bolt in and tighten it all the way. It seems to only do it when the engine is cold.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Two tricks that work (I have used both)...

1) Put ATF in a spray bottle and spray into intake with exhaust pipes plugged (if leak is to small so engine will not run let just enough out to allow engine to run). You will see white smoke from hole.

2) Use a tube (1/4" ID) put one side to your ear and the other side as a probe, any leak will sound like a VERY load hissing through the tube.

Double up the Stock Metallic gaskets if leaking from head/header, your problems will go away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finding that exhaust leak.