Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMHTP lid review, do the dyno numbers make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMHTP lid review, do the dyno numbers make sense?

I was reading through some of my older GM High-tech Performance Magazines last night, when something caught my attention.

Do any of you remember when they reviewed 7 lids for the f-bodys?

Great review but I noticed the dyno numbers seemed really high and really varied among LIDs, with of course SLP dynoing the highest.

The test car was either a 98 or 99 ls1 camaro, I don’t remember. The only mods it had was a Borla exhaust.

With the Borla exhaust the car laid down 319rwhp (I don’t remember the torque) that’s without and ls6 intake.

What I thought was odd, was the dyno numbers after the lid install:

A couple of lesser known LID makers dynoed around 325, a pick up of 6rwhp
But SLPs LID dynoed around 334, a pick up of 15rwhp.

A 9 horse power difference among two high flow lids seems a bit much, over a stock lid would make sense!

Also a 98-99 fbody with just lid and a borla catback making 335 seems high, considering many 01-02 fbodys with the ls6 intake and with headers ONLY, make around 350. I have hard time believing that the LS6 intake and headers is only worth 15rwhp.

But then again, maybe those are accurate numbers. I don’t think they are, and it almost seem like the sponsor that donates the most to the magazine will dyno higher. A 9 HP difference among lids seems really high, unless those lids truly suck, which I doubt. Coincidently it’s a known fact that SLP always claims high numbers!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Teching In

I was doing the exact same thing myself last night. I hear what your saying but I would think that they would give all the lids a fair shake. I know I'm grasping at straws here but maybe it was the fitment and quality of construction that made the difference between the dyno numbers amongst the different brands of lids. I honestly believe SLP got a bad name because of a thing called WOM or word of mouth. It appears alot of people on the board here bad mouth SLP up and down. I've never owned any of their products so I really have nothing to base a review off of. I do plan on purchasing a SLP lid myself because of that article in GMHTP. On the other hand I really think a lid is a lid is a lid. I will also say that this is the only article I've seen that used a 00 Z with a burned PCM for the sole purpose of providing (hopefully unbiased) numbers of different lids. I still consider a article with hard numbers better than WOM.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got a few things from slp. I got their lid and i diffenetly felt better throttle response then before. And when I install their y-pipe and loudmouth exhause I did feel a horsepower increase. Then when I bought their slp strut tower brace it got rid of a lot of my fish tailing on corners and got more feed back form the steering wheel and car seemed more stabe. I also got their bellow and again it helped with throttle response.

I've had good experiance with them. Though I once complained about their lid but after examing the lid, I noticed that the mechanic didn't insert the pins in so at the time the hood was rubbing the lid. But I installed the lid correct and it doesn't hit no more. One thing I did buy from them that was worthles for me was their spark plug socket, I didn't need it and couldn't see how I could if I chose to. Other then that I've had good experiance with their products and they got good customer service.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys make valid points. I have bought the SLP lid and the 85mm MAF and both have worked well.

I just feel the dynos numbers are a bit off!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

the thing people don't like about the SLP lid most of the time is that they say it doesn't fit good, well i have it and have absolutely no problem with it and it fits great. i got the SLP b/c it looks good with a branded in SLP logo.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have slp lid, and was having a problem with fitment for a while. I just took everything off up to the TB, made sure the bellows was on as far as it could go, put the lid on first, made sure the front of the lid lip was behind the lid tray (on the inside), then tightened up all of the clamps on the bellows. Haven't had a problem sense, it was probably my fault that fitment was poor.

As for differences, I remember reading that artice, and even somewhat choosing a lid from it, and based on the cost of the lid I could find. I still believe that overall, a lid is a lid.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which issue was the review in? Anyone know if that article is available online?

The 3 items I have bought from SLP have worked great for me...LS6 intake, SLP Underdrive Pulley, & SLP air bellows.

Mike

Originally Posted by ibanez7
I was reading through some of my older GM High-tech Performance Magazines last night, when something caught my attention.

Do any of you remember when they reviewed 7 lids for the f-bodys?

Great review but I noticed the dyno numbers seemed really high and really varied among LIDs, with of course SLP dynoing the highest.

The test car was either a 98 or 99 ls1 camaro, I don’t remember. The only mods it had was a Borla exhaust.

With the Borla exhaust the car laid down 319rwhp (I don’t remember the torque) that’s without and ls6 intake.

What I thought was odd, was the dyno numbers after the lid install:

A couple of lesser known LID makers dynoed around 325, a pick up of 6rwhp
But SLPs LID dynoed around 334, a pick up of 15rwhp.

A 9 horse power difference among two high flow lids seems a bit much, over a stock lid would make sense!

Also a 98-99 fbody with just lid and a borla catback making 335 seems high, considering many 01-02 fbodys with the ls6 intake and with headers ONLY, make around 350. I have hard time believing that the LS6 intake and headers is only worth 15rwhp.

But then again, maybe those are accurate numbers. I don’t think they are, and it almost seem like the sponsor that donates the most to the magazine will dyno higher. A 9 HP difference among lids seems really high, unless those lids truly suck, which I doubt. Coincidently it’s a known fact that SLP always claims high numbers!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the lid review for anyone who wants straight facts.

http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html

I would say these number's are very accurate. They are done with a locked pcm and every other possible control you can think of. Baseline was 319.9rwhp 333.2rwtq. Looks to me like half of the lids put out ~325rwhp and the other half ~330rwhp.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Frankly there is nothing I can see about the SLP lid that would make it dyno 9rwhp higher than other lids. I prefer the Whisper lid myself, but that's beside the point. What's a margin for error on a dyno, +/-3hp or so? So if one lid dynoed 3hp lower than it should, and SLP dynoed 3hp higher, that means that the real difference would be more like a 3hp advantage for the SLP lid. Then you'd have to take into account coolant temps and timing/KR for each dyno run, etc.

In the end, I would not run out and buy an SLP lid hoping to gain 9rwhp over another brand of lid you already have. If you're a first time buyer, then go with SLP if you like. I prefer Whisper because in my experiance they fit better, and I like the rubber seal they provide from the lid to the MAF.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-31-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys I would read the article link I posed before you post information. As said before this was a pretty controlled test. Far more than the typical back to back dyno runs that a person would do.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
Guys I would read the article link I posed before you post information. As said before this was a pretty controlled test. Far more than the typical back to back dyno runs that a person would do.

your right, that is why I stated it was a great review. It just seems a bit off to me. But then again it could be 100% on!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't see the slp putting out 334rwhp. Looks like 331rwhp was it's highest. A couple other lid manuf. made 330.7 or close to 331.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
I didn't see the slp putting out 334rwhp. Looks like 331rwhp was it's highest. A couple other lid manuf. made 330.7 or close to 331.
as I stated in the first post, I couldnt remember exactly as I dont have the magazine right in front of me... also I thought the car was 98-99 it was actually a 2000
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they all put down similar #s in that test.

nothing appears unusual there.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
they all put down similar #s in that test.

nothing appears unusual there.
Exactly. A 5rwhp difference may actually be near nothing or nothing at all, when taking into account dyno margin for error from test to test.

A lid, is still a lid, is still a lid.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Exactly. A 5rwhp difference may actually be near nothing or nothing at all, when taking into account dyno margin for error from test to test.

A lid, is still a lid, is still a lid.