Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Blackwing lid questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Blackwing lid questions

I've done searching on this site and a couple others, but couldn't find a definitive answer on some stuff. A buddy of mine is buying an 02 SOM SS with 9k miles and the 345 hp package, so he was interested in finding out about this lid.

First of all, is it a decent lid? Some people praise it up and down, saying it has OEM fit and quality with aftermarket performance. Others say they gained more power after getting rid of it for another lid.

Are special filters needed for it? I read somewhere that SLP used to make them, but now no longer sells them. A regular paper filter such as a Fram couldn't be used? If not, why?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

The Blackwing gives you an OEM lid w/o the baffles that would normally rob you of hp (which is why people would buy aftermarket lids). It came from SLP w/ a Donaldson air filter. The replacement was a grab-your-ankles kind of price. You can use a regular paper filter or any of the usual wash and oil filters. I have a Holley Powershot in my car.

Only 9k in 4 years? Wow! My '02 will hit 70k in less than a thousand miles.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAWK915
The Blackwing gives you an OEM lid w/o the baffles that would normally rob you of hp (which is why people would buy aftermarket lids). It came from SLP w/ a Donaldson air filter. The replacement was a grab-your-ankles kind of price. You can use a regular paper filter or any of the usual wash and oil filters. I have a Holley Powershot in my car.

Only 9k in 4 years? Wow! My '02 will hit 70k in less than a thousand miles.
Yup, the guy bought it new with most every SLP option and never got to drive it much because he's a trucker. I've got an 02 and mine has 26k on it, so he's even got me beat.

As for the lid, I thought they always said it was the shape of the mouth of the intake and not the baffles that robbed the power? Either way, doesn't matter. The stock lids sucked. So the Blackwing is a good lid then I'm assuming. Pretty much no point in buying another!