Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Extension's vs. Vette Rears

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Extension's vs. Vette Rears

Are O2 extension's fine, or should I fork out the $$ and use the Bosch vette rear O2 sensors for my fronts?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extensions should work fine. But I doubt the sensors themselves will last long (which is why I went to a full open loop tune...got tired of messing with them).
Old 02-02-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Extensions should work fine. But I doubt the sensors themselves will last long (which is why I went to a full open loop tune...got tired of messing with them).
Yeah, that's one of the reasons that a front O2 sensor delete sounded appealing to me. It's a tough decision. The $140 I spend on the vette sensors(my O2's are old), could go towards getting my car tuned for a front O2 delete. There is a guy here in norcal that has them deleted on both of his cars and hasn't run into any problems. He doesn't have a way of datalogging either, but the whole concept still makes me nervous.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Yeah, that's one of the reasons that a front O2 sensor delete sounded appealing to me. It's a tough decision. The $140 I spend on the vette sensors(my O2's are old), could go towards getting my car tuned for a front O2 delete. There is a guy here in norcal that has them deleted on both of his cars and hasn't run into any problems. He doesn't have a way of datalogging either, but the whole concept still makes me nervous.
Whoa...no way of data logging? Then how the hell is he doing it? You have to be able to log the car data in addition to wideband O2 data to get a tune like that right. Otherwise, you are taking a shot in the dark (which is not something you want to do with something like this).

The concept works...it has for me. It ain't rocket science

You just have to have faith, and a lot of patience.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Whoa...no way of data logging? Then how the hell is he doing it? You have to be able to log the car data in addition to wideband O2 data to get a tune like that right. Otherwise, you are taking a shot in the dark (which is not something you want to do with something like this).

The concept works...it has for me. It ain't rocket science

You just have to have faith, and a lot of patience.

He has no "current" way of datalogging. Originally he did to get the car dialed in. His tuner is very good and I'm sure it was tuned very well. He just has no way to monitor it now.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, okay...I see what he's saying. I don't monitor mine on a daily basis either, but once you get it close, our PCMs are robust enough in SD mode to not sway much at all on a day-to-day basis. Honestly, I found my tune swayed more with the narrow band O2s still in operation due to their shitty operation. It sucks when you watch one flatline completely, and the car just dumps tons of fuel in to compensate.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Are there any issues when smog time comes around with this kind of tuning?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Are there any issues when smog time comes around with this kind of tuning?
If the codes are set right, you can pass an inspection. Inspections I don't have to worry about, so I don't have any original emissions equipment on my car (well, I guess I do still have the stock EVAP system).
Old 02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

If the codes are set right, you can pass an inspection. Inspections I don't have to worry about, so I don't have any original emissions equipment on my car (well, I guess I do still have the stock EVAP system).
Must be nice!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Must be nice!
Shhhhhhhhhh...yes officer. I still have the stock cats.......

....somewhere.