Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS- Nichol's True Dual's Over Axle out the Back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PICS- Nichol's True Dual's Over Axle out the Back!!!

I finally had my true duals run out the back. I first want to say thanks to Lane of the famous Lane's True Duals for all of his help and info on how to set up this exhaust . I also want to say thanks to all the people that gave me tips and experiences on true duals. Nichols did an amazing job on this exhaust and were amazingly detail oriented. Especially when letting me tell them exactly where to weld in my tips! They ran over the axle from my Lane's true duals system, and wrapped my supplied header wrap in possible rattle places as well as fixed some old weld spots. They're not a sponsor here but the website address for them is listed right under the title on the webshots page.

Here is the link to my photo album on webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/547084483BtoZbh

I know people have as many questions as I do concerning true duals and especially running them out the back so here is my overly detailed write up.

I purchased mac midlength headers and a Lane's True Dual exhaust, with 18 inch dynomax bullets, dumped, from a user on this site at a great price. Compared to the stock headers and my corsa the mids and duals gave me a huge increase in power. I'm confident the car will run high 12s now. The dynomax dumped set up is very loud and it rattles the interior. I have a stock cam and intake manifold and I lost a lot of low end torque with this very free flowing system. I noticed it alot when i stepped on it for normal acceleration when pulling away from a dead stop(I know headers played a role in this too). Don’t get me wrong when I stepped on it for wide open throttle the thing flew. But trying to get going from a red light it seemed like I had no power to move. It was like my A4 had a lag before shifting. Also the vibration was so much at the low rpms that I drove slow from a stop to avoid the rattles. It was funny driving so slow from a stop light in this loud *** car.

The dumped duals set off car alarm warning chirps and full blown car alarms on a regular basis. It woke up my room mate in the morning by vibrating his window on our upstairs apartment. The smell was bad at first but I hardly noticed it after a few weeks. The dynomax sounded awesome at certain rpms but when the A4 shifted at lower speeds the car sounded like a giant fart can. IT was especially noticeable on the 1-2 shift.The sweet thunder does this to some degree but not as bad perhaps because it is a quieter muffler. I wonder if cats would cure the fart can shifting sound? At 50mph crusing it was pure bliss though I still miss that about the bullets. So the dynomax sounds beautiful sometimes and other times its low restriction, straight through design lets you hear what you might not want to. On WOT runs though it sounds like heaven! If you are looking for the best sounding muffler for WOT I’d say dyno bullets for sure. Even my new system does not sound as good as the dynos did at full throttle. Just because the dynos had no restriction and you could really hear the motor when you did a WOT. The other reason I wanted a quieter exhaust is it was hard to hear lyrics in songs at a variety of speeds. To hear it I would have to turn it up so loud over the exhaust it was too much noise for my poor ears. I’d rather have the best of both worlds instead of an extremely loud exhaust. As a side note I scraped the dumped tips alot pulling out of my steep driveway at my apartments but they still seemed to hold up just fine.

I was seeking the duals sound and power with a little more refinement so I looked into running it over the axle. I came upon sweet thunder mufflers and talked to Mike and decided to cut the dynos off and put some 3 inch sweet thunders in there. He recommended placing the mufflers before the axle because they sound better that way on F-Bods They had much better clearance than the dynos, less than a 3 inch muffler diameter if Im not mistaken. From the end of the 3 inch muffler I would run 2.5 over the axle and I would have my 3 inch corsa premium tips welded on the end. (Corsa exhaust with no tips for local sale $400-PM me)

I happened to get a message from someone on the old west forum about a place in Tyler and thought I would check them out. The guy that owns the shop has a passion for drag racing his own car which appealed to me. I ended up going there today and having done exactly what was planned. Lane's true Dual's- chopped off the bullets. Put in the 3 in sweet thunders. Ran 2.5 over the axle on each side. Cut a small section of the bar above the panhard rod out. You can see it in the pictures. It was enough to let the pipe go through without sacrificing the rigidity of the bar as far as I can tell. Had the corsa tips welded on. The guys let me tell them exactly where I wanted the tips as they were welding the system up at the end. The wrap on the one muffler is where it is close to the fuel lines. Just a precaution! As noted you could just turn your fuel lines over but I figured the wrap I already had was easier. I also put some adhesive heat wrap around the fuel lines just in case.

Sweet thunders sound awesome! The car still has the glug glug glug race car-like sound at idle except it is behind me now. It is much quieter at cruising and does not rattle my interior. It has all of the characteristics of the previous dumped system that I liked, without any of the bad ones. Due keep in mind that this is still a loud exhaust and it can be loud at certain speeds. It is just not to the extreme of the dynos. It has a great throaty dual exhaust sound but it is not too loud and not quiet enough for people to not notice.

The only thing to see is whether the pipe that is close to the panhard rod will give me any trouble. So far so good. If it does I’ll post up and will probably just get the BMR panhard rod for dual exhausts.I don’t know if is fair for me to comment on the sound difference between bullets and sweet thunders because of dumped compared to over the axle but to me it is a more refined muscle car sound instead of Nascar on the street.

I only paid $250 at this place for going over the axle so it was definitely worth it. PM me if you want more info about the place I got it done. The shop is a great place to get true duals done if you live in east Texas whether you need duals from the headers back or extended over the axle.

-Lane

Last edited by lrk322; 02-06-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Looks real good, i definetly need to run my exhaust out the back. Dumps on a T/A looks good but alittle out of place the way the rear bumper is.
-Joel
Old 02-04-2006, 03:52 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Damn that was a lot to read Lane lol.

Looks really good though man, I like it
Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

grats on the setup, it looks great.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Lane - 'flip' your fuel lines and you won't have to worry about wrapping that one side.

Lane
Old 02-05-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the comments! I would flip my fuel lines but im lazy. I had some adhesive heat wrap laying around as well as some header wrap and throwin that on was easier.

-Lane

Last edited by lrk322; 02-05-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lane
Lane - 'flip' your fuel lines and you won't have to worry about wrapping that one side.

Lane
Wondered why he did that. Now i remember that you can turn the clips over and have more clearance.